7120 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2009 7:04 AM by zman RSS
Apprentice 155 posts since
Dec 17, 2007

Has received 2 of 9 achievements.
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 7, 2009 11:06 AM

Package number order

Hi all

We're in the process of migrating from LDMS 8.5 SP2 to LDMS 8.8 SP2.  In the meantime, we need to add another package to our standard list of apps linked to A.D. Software Distribution groups.  Usually this would not be a problem.  However, according to the registry once the app is installed, this new package has been automatically assigned a package number over 1000, subsequently moved it to the top of the order of apps to install and broken the process.

Is this a limitation of the registry or LDMS 8.5 SP2?

Is it possible to force the package numbers in the correct order within the registry please?

Thanks

Scott

• Employee 620 posts since
    Dec 12, 2007

Has received 6 of 9 achievements.
    1. Apr 7, 2009 11:23 AM (in response to scottunify)
    Re: Package number order

Not a 100% sure what you are talking about.  Task information is no longer stored in the registry in 8.8.

If you are looking to deploy packages in a certain order I would look at the below link.  In 8.8 they get applied by package id.  In sp3 it will be changed to task name.

Take a look at this document.

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-4648

• zman Master 3,277 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Has received 9 of 9 achievements.
    3. Apr 7, 2009 7:23 PM (in response to scottunify)

Scott,

So my understanding on required policies is that in < 8.8 it was based on the package name, anywho, what you really want to know is how to sequence packages and/or create application dependencies. Couple of options in 8.8 - in order of MY preferences:

1. Provisioning. Yeah most people think of OSD when they hear provisioning but it is very flexible and can be used for a wide variety of tasks. I discovered this while trying to figure out how to deploy applications to pos (not point of sale ;-) thinclients with XPE.  You can set up a very complex application flow and distribution template.
    2. Software Package dependencies/prerequistes.
    3. Batch Files.

Don't mess with the the _idns you will be in a world of hurt.

• phoffmann SupportEmployee 2,643 posts since
    Dec 11, 2007

Has received 7 of 9 achievements.
    5. Apr 8, 2009 4:07 AM (in response to scottunify)

If you're on the verge of migrating, you may as well migrate to 8.8 SP3 (SP3 should be out in the next few weeks), which will include the name-based sequencing as was mentioned earlier.

And potentially using batches may be the better way for you to deal with the situation as an interim (certainly a lot more controllable)...?

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• zman Master 3,277 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Has received 9 of 9 achievements.
    7. Apr 8, 2009 7:04 AM (in response to scottunify)

I mentioned provisioning because you mentioned you were going to 8.8.  As Paul indicated wait for SP3. In 8.5 you could script the install via Autoit or other scripting language (batch, vb, etc...) That way you can control the order and the return codes.  I've done this many times and it works.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software