19772 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2011 8:00 AM by Jon_UK RSS
Apprentice 93 posts since
Jan 24, 2008

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 25, 2008 9:54 AM

Oops imaged a group of computers with the landesk agent - best way to recover

I have noticed that all of the computers seem to have the same unique id's
HKHLM\Software\Intel\Landesk\common api HKLM\Software\Landesk\common api If i remove these id's and reboot the pc's will it automatically generate unique ideas and properly populate my device list in the console?

• sevich Apprentice 138 posts since
    Dec 18, 2007

Has received 4 of 9 achievements.

If you delete those id's from the registry, it will be the next time the inventory scanner runs that will generate a new ID for you. Keep in mind though that you will see 2 devices in the database at first. To take care of that, make sure you are handling duplicate devices on your core server.

• leffrt SupportEmployee 175 posts since
    Dec 12, 2007

Has received 6 of 9 achievements.

LANDesk has some built in checks that should create new device IDs for these machines.  They are configured for you by default, but can be modified.  Log into the Management Console on the Core Server and go to Configure | Services.  Under the Inventory tab there will be a Device ID button to manage duplicates.  Here you will see how LANDesk has configured it for you.  I like to add Serial Number and change the variable to 3 to make extra sure the devices are duplicates.

Also get rid of that image immediately and create a new one.  If you must put the LANDesk Agent on the image make sure you remove those registry keys before capturing the image.

• sevich Apprentice 138 posts since
    Dec 18, 2007

What LANDesk uses to identify is the unique ID, which is what is contained in that registry. So if you image a machine and it scans in as COMPUTER1, you delete your registry keys so it gets a new ID when you do an inventory scan, you will then see 2 machines by the name COMPUTER1 in your database. What you need to do is delete the original one (the one with the oldest inventory scan).

When you delete a device from "All Devices" it is completely deleted from the database. The only way it will scan back in, is if the inventory scanner runs on a machine in which the unique ID (that registry key string) is not already detected in the database.

Long story short, for the machines you've already deployed with this issue, redeploy the agent or delete the key and let inventory scanner make a new one. Go through your machines and delete the duplicate computer (meaning look for machines with the same name and keep the most recently inventoried one).

Do what was mentioned above and redo your image to either not have the agent installed when you capture it, or delete those registry keys right before you shut it down to be captured.

• jack.rotherham Apprentice 142 posts since
    Dec 17, 2007

I had a customer of ours do this a short while ago.... The problem being they had deployed the image accross the network to both local subnet PC's and also machines that were on remote sites. This meant that visiting each PC to remove the reg keys and then getting an inventory scan was quite impossible. As a solution I got them to modify the image so that the reg keys were deleted for future deployments. As for the already deployed machines, I got them to do the following:

1) Load LDDiscover.exe from  "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\Utilities\LdDiscover"

2) Click "Configure" and add their subnets into the program.

3) Click the "Accounts" tab and enter credentials in which has admin rights on all the targetted machines (don't forget to hit add!!!).

4) Goto the Commands section and enter the following lines into it replacing the CORESERVERIP with your own core server name or IP address:

Reg delete  "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Intel\LANDesk\Common Api" /va /f

Reg delete  "HKLM\SOFTWARE\LANDesk\Common Api" /va /f

"C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\LDISCN32.EXE" /NTT="CORESERVERIP":5007 /S="CORESERVERIP" /F /SYNC /NOUI

5) Goto the "Settings" tab and make sure the "Stop after one round" radio button is enabled then click ok

6) Hit "Run"

The program will then go through and ping all the clients added. Once it has done this it will deploy it's mini agent then promptly start to execute the commands on all the found clients. IF this is as successful on your network as it was my clients, then you will start to get machines entering in your database.

Hope this helps. Drop me a message if you need more info.

Jack

• Jared Barneck SupportEmployee 1,189 posts since
    Nov 19, 2007

Has received 5 of 9 achievements.

If you have already put the agent on the image then the fix is simply this:

Just configure both these settings for Mac Address only:

Configure | Service | Inventory | Devices

Configure| Services | Inventory | Device IDs. (Use Computer.Network.NIC Adress and also configure the items to check for to only 1)

You do NOT need to manually delete those keys.

As for putting the agent on the image.

....Prepare for personal rant....do not read if you don't want to read a rant.

Never! Never! Never! put the agent on the Image. You might ask, why not? I can remove the Common API keys just fine. Well it is more than that. What happens if LANDesk has a bug with the upgrade of an agent causing the upgrade to fail...oh...jacked! If that happens you suddenly have to rebuild you entire image. There is a reason that LANDesk integrates with Sysprep to automatically install the agent as part of the imaging process. You might say: I use a different imaging tool. That doesn't matter. Our integration is simply a few lines in the GUIRunOnce section of Sysprep which you can use with any imaging solution. Can you include the agent on the image. Of course. No one is really going to stop you. You will be setting yourself up for failure in the future. Will you be happier if you don't add it to the image? Yes. This is a common problem when the agent is on the image even if you delete the common api keys. Often the image needs rebuilt, so they boot it up, run through mini-setup, make the changes, and re-sysprep and recapture the image. Oops. The Common API keys were regenerated while you making the changes and they weren't deleted. So many bad things can happen in the future if you put the agent on the image.

....end personal rant....

• Jared Barneck SupportEmployee 1,189 posts since
    Nov 19, 2007

Has received 5 of 9 achievements.

Just to be clear what really happens when you include the Agent on the Image.  It causes disappearing devices due to Duplicate Device IDs on the client, which is different that Duplicate Devices in the database.

Imagine Machine A and Machine B.

Machine A has Device ID x

Machine B has Device ID x as well.

First scans

Machine A scans in first time with a full scan using Device ID x.  It now exists in the database.

Machine B scan in first time with Device ID x.  It does not create a duplicate device, it actually overwrites the Machine A device in inventory because the Device ID is a duplicate of that used by Machine A.  Machine A appears to have disappeared.

Second scans

Machine A's next scan is a delta scan (only changes).  But wait.  That causes and out of sync scan because Machine A's inventory was updated by machine B.  It is marked now to do a full scan when it scans in next time (which is does not do right away).

Machine B's next scan is also a delta scan.  Same issue.  It is an out of sync scan.  The machine with that device ID was supposed to send a full-scan next time...but of course this is a different machine.

third scans

Machine A now sends in a full scan and overwrites machine B's information in the database.  Machine A appears to have "reappeared" and Machine B appears to have disappeared.

Next Machine B now sends in a full scan and overwrites machine A's information in the database.  Machine A appears to have disappeared and Machine B has now "reappeared".

Resolution

The fix is simple:

Go to Configure | Service | Inventory | Device IDs.

It should already be configured for Computer.Device Name and Computer.Network.NIC Address.  You can simply use Computer.Network.NIC Address if you want.

Click the check box on the bottom left:

[ x ] Reject Duplicate Identities

Now it will react differently.

First scans with Reject Duplicate Identities

Machine A scans in first time with a full scan using Device ID x.  It now exists in the database.

Machine B scan in first time with Device ID x.  It actually is told to generate a new device ID and use it the next time it scans.  The issue will be resolved on the next scan.

Second scans with Reject Duplicate Identities

Machine A's next scan is a delta scan (only changes).  (Here I cannot remember if Machine A is told to use a new Device ID too.  If not, the delta works, if so, the machine will send a full scan with a new Device ID next time.  I'll have to test again.)

Machine B's next scan is a full scan with a new Device ID.  It was never in the database so there never was a Duplicate Device.

• Apprentice 153 posts since
    Dec 17, 2007

Here's the reg file that does the trick:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\INTEL\LANDesk\Common Api]
    "UniqueID"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LANDesk\Common Api]
    "UniqueID"=-

(also attached)

Have a great day!

-B

Attachments:
  • Frank Wils SSMMVPGroup 1,216 posts since
    Feb 25, 2008

Has received 8 of 9 achievements.

And if you don't want to rebuild your image right now, when in WinPE add to your script or provisioning template a line or 2  after restoring the image that will load the system registry hive from c: ( reg load hklm\system1 c:\windows\system32\config\system ) and clear those reg keys. That way when the device reboots the keys will always be clean.

Frank

• browardlandesk@jdltech.com Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 17, 2009

Just a quick question. Has this "Reject Duplicate Identities" been integrated into the MAC agent also?

Thanks

• Rookie 49 posts since
    Apr 8, 2008

Hi guys

Reading through this thread I have a very similar problem.

I have tried all of your hints and tips and still get errors in the application log of the server that read

'Inventory server detected {AA4E1E5A-1A09-0A4A-95D4-C196AE280F1F} as a duplicated device ID'

I have no idea how to get rid of this or what is causing it? My device and duplicate device are both set to 'MAC ADDRESS' and 1 but still the problem persists? I have tried removing the agent, deleting the respective reg keys, etc but still no luck? Any ideas?

• Jon_UK Apprentice 57 posts since
    Dec 17, 2007

Has received 3 of 9 achievements.

When you uninstall the agent, I'd just check your registry  HKLM-software-Landesk  Key is removed and the HKLM-software-Intel-Landesk key, NOT the INTEL one only the Landesk one under it.

It's not as bad as it was in say version 6 or 7 but it was always a pain to remove everything, check your landesk client folder has gone as well, you may find it's still there along with some .dll files that may have been registered and unwilling to unload prior to reboot.  The reg key entries removed should stop any prevention of removal.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software