Skip navigation
3907 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2010 2:58 AM by phoffmann RSS
Rookie 16 posts since
May 11, 2009

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 9, 2010 1:46 PM

Query off a non-existing Handle

I run patch management by using a local scheduler scheduled task to run.  They all have the same handle for patching "1045".  Since SP2, I have had to change the way I push my agents out, as it doesn't like my same code.  Since then, I have a few machines that don't patch on patch night because of this.

I want to run a query to search for all devices without this handle "1045".  My problem is that LANDesk will display all other handles, There are 6-10 handles per device.  Does anyone know a more efficient way to query local scheduled taks that don't exist on workstations or know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

• phoffmann SupportEmployee 2,643 posts since
    Dec 11, 2007

Has received 7 of 9 achievements.
    Re: Query off a non-existing Handle

How confident are you with SQL?

This shouldn't be too hard to figure out - gimme a few minutes.

============

You know, you could do this via query + column-set as well.

What you need to do is add a query (and a column) for

""

LANDesk Management => Local Scheduler => Scheduled Tasks => Handle = "1045"

""

That way, all devices that have a Local Scheduler TaskID (which is what the "handle" is) of 1045 will show up. If you're paranoid, you can even have the command-line be displayed.

The other alternative is digging into the database, but I think the above should make your life sufficiently easy?

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

Dec 11, 2007

2. Dec 10, 2010 2:52 AM (in response to phoffmann)

As an addendum - if you *ARE* confident with SQL.

Here's a couple of tables for you to look at:

COMPUTER ==> This is where you'll be able to translate COMPUTER_IDN's into device names (we use COMPUTER_IDN's as the identifiers for computers in the rest of the database).

LD_SCHEDULED_TASKS => This is the table that holds the records for the local scheduler tasks as reported by inventory.

If you have a look into LD_SCHEDULED_TASKS, you'll see it's a very straight forward table - you even have whole command-lines in clear text, and the handles are easily visible too in their own column.

All very simple really .

- Paul Hoffmann

Dec 11, 2007

OK - I blame the morning. You want all devices that *DON'T* have local scheduler Task ID 1045. Right.

My bad.

So for that, SQL will be the easiest. Let's throw something together then for you . Here's something very straight forward and not too pretty, but may get the job done.

""

select COMPUTER_IDN, DEVICENAME from COMPUTER where COMPUTER_IDN NOT IN

(select COMPUTER_IDN from LD_SCHEDULED_TASKS where Handle=1045)

""

This is an "inverse logic" query. The problem is that we don't have a record for devices that DON'T have a handle of 1045. So what I do is I make a query for all devices that *DO* have handle ID 1045, and use this query as a "list me all computers that AREN'T in this list") type of deal.

You could, if you wanted to, also muck about just straight up querying for the command-line or filters you've wanted / set up, but this could be a decent starting point.

- Paul Hoffmann

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software