Skip navigation
2215 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2011 11:42 AM by DanDinolfo RSS
Apprentice 160 posts since
Mar 18, 2010

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 12, 2011 8:30 AM

Check-In Frequency

I'm the LANDesk Administrator for a company with 2500 nodes.  I've been running things for about a year now.  I've noticed that while most of our clients are checking in every day, it is very common for systems to go a couple days without reporting in.  I've got things setup on the following schedule:

Inventory/Policy/Vulscan

Every 9 Hours

Time of Day 9 to 18

Random Delay up to 3 hours

and at least 5 minutes.

No run filters.

Obviously, the more systems check in the better.  The less manual scanning the better.  I'm wondering what frequency other people have things scanning in at?  As I said, we have 2500 nodes, and we are looking to add about 800 more soon.  Our server is a dedicated server.  It's a Xeon E5430 (2.66GHZ) with 12 GB Ram.  The SQL server is hosted on our SQL cluster.  Half of our machines are in our central office.  The rest are scattered among 18 remote sites (with 512-1500kbps connections), and 200 laptops from home offices that connect randomly with cell cards.  I've already been thinking I should up the hardware and policy scans to every 3 hours or so.  I figure that they'll only get one software scan a day, so the other scans should be quick.  I'll leave the vuln scan at once a day, as I policy/schedule out additional scans as needed.  Does anyone thing that upping the frequency higher than once a day will have adverse effects?  My server seems to be running fine.  Nothing too slugish.  We are running 9.0 SP2.

• LANDeskWizrd Expert 506 posts since
    Jul 2, 2008

Has received 8 of 9 achievements.
    1. Apr 12, 2011 9:27 AM (in response to DanDinolfo)
    Re: Check-In Frequency

I have a feeling that you may be experiencing these issues because your delay has a rather wide range. You are essentially telling the machine he can take an additional 2:55 minutes delay. Say your scan is set to kick off at 5:00pm and the delay is that long then it wont happen until the next day so you can realistically be out a scan for 2 days. I think that if you narrow down the delay that may help. I run mines at 1 hour max delay and 0 minutes.

• LANDeskWizrd Expert 506 posts since
    Jul 2, 2008

Has received 8 of 9 achievements.
    3. Apr 12, 2011 11:19 AM (in response to DanDinolfo)
    Re: Check-In Frequency

Oh ok I was under the impression that they were not scanning for a couple of days. Yeah 2-3 weeks without a scan is not right with those settings and them actually being on the network within that time frame.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software