3743 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2013 7:22 AM by otura RSS
Chris_W Expert 228 posts since
Nov 23, 2009

Has received 7 of 9 achievements.
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 10, 2011 1:19 PM

Defining a Self Service Login Page

Evening all,

Just spent a good couple of hours double triple checking this before posting.

Has anyone managed to setup a self service login page as per the attached from the designer guide? Very keen to have as pictured a login box on the left with a nice dashboard showing noticeboard, service status etc. First part is proving difficult, second part is fine though

After following instructions in designer manual, don't seem to be having much luck.

Any help much appreciated!

Chris

Attachments:
  • csimpson@kumc.edu Expert 614 posts since
    Jan 6, 2010

Has received 4 of 9 achievements.
    1. Mar 17, 2011 12:33 PM (in response to Chris_W)
    Re: Defining a Self Service Login Page

Didn't work for me either.

• aparker Employee 593 posts since
    Feb 18, 2009

Has received 6 of 9 achievements.
    2. Mar 17, 2011 12:37 PM (in response to Chris_W)

Hi Chris,

One question... Have you set up the SelfService guest account and assigned that through the settings in Web Access? If you haven't done that, then you will always get the centered generic login bob.

Andy

• KarenPeacock Employee 1,131 posts since
    Jul 29, 2008

4. Mar 17, 2011 2:26 PM (in response to Chris_W)

Hi Chris

Just wanted to check that you've seen the Self Service manual?  If you have some specific about Self Service that you'd like covered please let me know and we can raise something with the documentation team. 

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-22106

Or was it specifically support documents that you wanted?  Often support content gets created based on the FAQs that we get on the product and so with a newer release there is likely to be less content until we know more about what customers want to know.

Best wishes

Karen

• KarenPeacock Employee 1,131 posts since
    Jul 29, 2008

7. May 15, 2011 12:49 PM (in response to Chris_W)

Hi Chris

Sorry about the late reply to your post but I wanted to reply once I had some more information for you.  I'm pleased to hear that your Self Service configuration got back on track. Of the 3 bullet points that you made on 17th March, the 1st and 3rd are being considered by the Development team.  The 2nd one isn't something that I have heard of before so if this is still an issue for you please raise a support case so it can be investigated further with you.

As you may have noticed, we are starting to get some more documentation on the community about Web Access and Self Service.  I've also just published a new article on migrating from Service Portal to Web Access here.  I realise this may come a bit late for you but I hope it may be of use to others who are planning to do this soon.

Best wishes

Karen

• Rookie 11 posts since
    Jan 11, 2011

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
    8. May 23, 2011 11:28 AM (in response to KarenPeacock)

What are the permissions that Self Service Guest role needs?

• otura Rookie 20 posts since
    Feb 5, 2013

9. Oct 15, 2013 6:14 AM (in response to Chris_W)

I join awpeterson request:

Can you provide any further details on this?

• csimpson@kumc.edu Expert 614 posts since
    Jan 6, 2010

Has received 4 of 9 achievements.
    10. Oct 15, 2013 6:28 AM (in response to otura)

Unfortunately I don't think there is a single set of permissions that works for everyone.  With everyone having different needs and different goals and processes, each set is unique.  For us it was more trial and error.  The errors you get are generally an indication of where more rights are needed.  Unfortunately the error doesn't say give read access to this single item, hit "yes" to do that now.  Instead you get a somewhat cryptic message that you may or may not find in the permissions.  The permissions take some getting used to.  In general their in alpha order by section but knowing what section to go to or exactly where to go to is not exactly easy to figure out.  For me it was a lot of trial and error mixed with lots of support. 

This is one of those things that experience helps a lot with.  The more you do this the better "feel" you get for their system and the less guessing you do.  I start with Read access, then update, and then execute so I only give the permission that is needed.  End users need a lot of read access more than update or execute where analysts need all three in general.  For the highest level function like re-opening that a standard analyst would not use, I use a separate role.

• otura Rookie 20 posts since
    Feb 5, 2013

11. Oct 15, 2013 7:22 AM (in response to csimpson@kumc.edu)

Thanks csimpson.

For the moment I have done this:

1. in the web desk system preferences, set SelfServiceGuest as Anonymous User and Public Noticeboard as the Default dashboard.

2. Assign the SelfServiceGuest role to the SelfServiceGuest user.

That is what I can deduct from the Designers guide.

What I get is a HTTP 403 Forbidden error message. I feel this one is not even cryptic.

If I choose any other dashboard I get the standard login prompt, without any dashboard.

Does that raise any idea?

=======================

Last minute edit:

I get HTTP 403 forbidden for any configuration of anonymous user / dashboard.

Even if I remove those paremeters I get that in the SS.

If I browse http://localhost/ServiceDesk.WebAccess/ss/ i get the error.

If I browse http://localhost/ServiceDesk.WebAccess/ss/Logon/Logon.rails it works (the basic logon, I mean)

Message was edited by: Israel Otura Garcia

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software