Skip navigation
1 2 Previous Next 13525 Views 24 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2011 8:54 AM by mrspike RSS Go to original post
  • phoffmann SupportEmployee 2,644 posts since
    Dec 11, 2007

Has received 7 of 9 achievements.
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Mar 17, 2011 4:11 AM (in response to Rob)
    Re: Sdstatus folder on core server

An additional note for people affected by this sort of issue.

If you want to delete the contents of the SDSTATUS folder, use the command-line, not the GUI. The GUI will die trying to do this sort of thing, whilst command-line will allow you comfortably to go into the directory (without displaying the contents) and then you can run a command-line like this:

""

del /F /Q *
    ""

/F -- forces deleteing of "read-only" files (this is just paranoia on my part, in case one of those files ends up being read-only for some weird reason) --  best not to have the whole job hang/freeze on account of a single file.

/Q -- deletes files in quiet mode, so no confirmation is asked.

This isn't an immediate response to the above post(s) - just something that should help along others who may run into this sort of problem to get a leg up .

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• smittman Apprentice 53 posts since
    Sep 22, 2008

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
    16. May 9, 2011 12:55 PM (in response to phoffmann)

So how do we go about troubleshooting this problem as to why the amount of file are growing, and not deceasing?  I just did this and within 5 minutes I'm back up to over 1000 files.  I cannot get any Policies to work, they just stay Pending.  Not sure if it is related, but seems to have started at the same time.  I also have several scheduled tasks that use a Policy Delivery Method that was deleted and I cannot get these tasks deleted, or change the delivery method changed.  I think these are all related, but where do I start?

Dec 11, 2007

17. May 10, 2011 7:16 AM (in response to smittman)

Yes, those events would be related.

Without processing of the files in the SDSTATUS folder, you won't be getting updates to the policies.

A question is whether a server reboot will help here (it's possible the APM-service in IIS just got into a terrible fix). If it does not, you've got something really strange going on with your APM-service, and would need to get in touch with support.

We may be able to provide you with a newer version of it or - failing that - at least see what's going on with some debug-tools (or, as it were - what's NOT going on).

But yes, the two events you describe are VERY much inter-related.

- Paul Hoffmann

• mrspike SSMMVPGroup 1,321 posts since
    Dec 19, 2007

Has received 9 of 9 achievements.
    18. May 11, 2011 9:47 AM (in response to phoffmann)

We had the same issue, and I believe one of the older hot fixes solved it, they should be included in the new "MCP" patches.

• Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 21, 2007

19. Jun 26, 2011 5:56 PM (in response to dkapak)

I've experienced the same issue on one of my client sites

2.1 Million files... it’s been a nightmare to get fixed and moving the files back a few hundred at a time is a staggeringly slow process, looks like they re-integrate at about 1 file per 2 seconds. So its not a viable solution.

due to disk space, I've had to delete the old files.

Sep 22, 2008

20. Jun 27, 2011 8:13 AM (in response to dallas.hindle)

I was finally able to delete all of the old files.  I was having major performance issues during the deletion, and had to reboot the server several times during the process.  The entire process of deleting the files took almost 2 weeks.  It seems to be performing fine now as my policies are completing and even my remote consoles seem a bit faster.   I hope there isn't going to be any negative ramifications because of deleting all of these files?

Dec 19, 2007

21. Jun 27, 2011 8:27 AM (in response to smittman)

Scott & Dallas,

Have you applied the latest MCP's?

You can get them here: http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-22561

These have solved my issues with this (I run 7 pruduction cores) among a number of other issues.

Dec 11, 2007

22. Jun 27, 2011 8:28 AM (in response to smittman)

Nothing "bad" in terms of "stuff gets broken". At a push, some of your tasks may have innacurate status reporting (since you've just deleted the task status updates) - that's it really.

That's not a terribly big deal by and large, as clients still know whether they've applied a policy or not and all that stuff, so it's not something that'll be an overly large spectre looming above you .

By the way - for those affected by this - if you're going to move/delete those files, please do so as part of a DOS command-line. The Windows UI has problems coping with anything over (roughly) 60,000 files based on my experience.

A simple

""

del * /Q

""

will do the trick for you (though, that's a "tabula rasa" approach)

- Paul Hoffmann

Sep 22, 2008

23. Jun 27, 2011 8:34 AM (in response to mrspike)

I did apply the latest patch after finally deleting the files.  Perhaps this is the reason everything appears to be working normally.

Dec 19, 2007

24. Jun 27, 2011 8:54 AM (in response to smittman)

Scott, it is very important to push out the client side patches as well (by following the procedures here http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-22568

The clients were sending way too much info for the cores to handle and while patching the Core helps, if you do not patch the clients you will only be solving half the problem

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software