Skip navigation
1 2 Previous Next 3331 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2011 1:30 AM by vinx1127 RSS
Apprentice 54 posts since
Jan 20, 2011

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 3, 2011 9:40 PM

How to view request's details and history with disabled actions.

Hi Guys,

I just like to ask if there's anyone has this requirement wherein the analyst can view the request details including the history (e.g assignment, attachtment and note) but the actions are unavailable/disabled/hidden if the request is not assigned to them.  So basically this is for viewing only.

From what i can see here, I'll be creating alot of role wherein each role have the differenct priveledges based on actions. These role will be asssigned to the right person for this actions.

I just like to ask if there is another way to do this? and also how can i disable the search button from the webdesk portal? I want to limit this function based on the role.

Search.jpg

Thanks,

Marvin

• JulianWigman Expert 585 posts since
    Apr 24, 2009

Has received 7 of 9 achievements.

I dont believe you can disable the search bar, as that is something we'v also asked LANdesk for as an enhancement.  Let's hope 7.5 delivers it! 

Surely the visibility of Requests is down to the queries you make available to the Analyst/user on the shortcut bar or dashboard?

Julian

• dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup 2,252 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007

Removing of that search box and also the personal prefs can be done by the LANDesk SI team, apparently, in case anyone cannot wait.

Dec 16, 2007

You could but it's a fair amount of work.  A role isn't the way because people get the privs for all the roles they have been granted.  I think the approach would be to put a precondition before any action in a process which checks to see if the current user is the assigned user.  That way people will not be able to use the action, even if they have the rights.

Dec 16, 2007

To cover assignment you wouldn't pre-condition it out, but allow someone to use it.  Then once the process been assigned to themselves, the other pre-conditions would open up to let them use the other actions.  I quite like a simple windowless action called 'Assign to Self' which does the assignment in one click and doesn't need someone to work out who they are!

Dec 16, 2007

Not really no.  If someone has any role which gives them the ability to carry out an action, they will always be able to carry out that action if it's in the process at the status the process is in.

Dec 16, 2007

Have you had any process designer training/experience?  If not, you'd really need to have to some do this bit, or spend a bit of time practising!  In summary you create a new action in the business objects area of process designer in the incident branch of the tree and do not associate with a window.  Then grant the right to use that action to whichever role you want.  In the process designer replace all the optional assignments with this new action and after the action add an automatic assignment.  In the assignment window use value type in the group and user fields to fill in with the macro value of $current user.  You could do the same for group using $current group or you  might prefer to use a value type from current assignment/current group for this so it assigns to the user but leaves it in the same group.  You can probably leave the various check boxes alone as the person using this probably knows they just did it.

Dec 16, 2007

I suspect the re-assign action is a rename of the standard assignment action.  If you take that priv away no analyst will be able to assign any change process, even via an automatic action.  If you want the availability actions to vary based on who the process is assigned to, you'd need to follow my previous suggestion or something similar.  If you just take privs away, you may find more example of actions which previously worked, no longer working.

To be fair I think anyone in your position should be able to attend the boot camp/core admin course as well as the process designer course.  Without that knowledge, a whole pile of good functionality is likely to remain a bit of a mystery or your company would be missing out.  Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Dec 16, 2007

You could always fly to Australia where we run the same courses but with a different accent and far better weather :-)

Anyway you have my thinking exactly right - always allow self assign to then carry out an operation knowing that what you did will be audited!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software