Skip navigation
1 2 Previous Next 3799 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2011 10:37 AM by Jamie Cannon RSS
Jamie Cannon ITSMMVPGroup 1,356 posts since
Feb 28, 2008

Has received 7 of 9 achievements.
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 15, 2011 8:17 AM

Associating CI's with a User

Hey everyone,

If this is already out there I apologize.

Can someone lend some insite as to how to import computers from LDMS into SD and associate it with a User?

THanks!

• KarenPeacock Employee 1,131 posts since
    Jul 29, 2008

Has received 6 of 9 achievements.
    1. Nov 15, 2011 12:49 PM (in response to Jamie Cannon)
    Re: Associating CI's with a User

Hi

There are some articles already which should help with this - one article has videos as an extra bonus!

Creatingt connections to LDMS and setting up import mappings is included in this article:

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-22027

Associating imported CIs with users:

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-22542

I hope this helps you.

Best wishes

Karen

• Expert 233 posts since
    Jan 27, 2009

3. Nov 15, 2011 3:25 PM (in response to Jamie Cannon)

Hi Jamie,

Depending on the source data you've imported from your management tool, the user informaiton may be stored as the LDAP distinguished name which won't correctly match the User.Name field as Craig has used and given the error you've descrivbed it certainly sounds like this is the case. To get around this I would suggest creating a new field on the user object called "LDAP Dist Name" or something similar then map the LDAP distinguished name to this field in your User Imports.

You can then edit your mapping for the User>CI linking and map the Primary Owner data to this new "LDAP Dist Name" field and set it as the target key attribute and it should import fine.

Cheers,

Hadyn

• Expert 233 posts since
    Jan 27, 2009

5. Nov 16, 2011 6:44 PM (in response to Jamie Cannon)

Hi Jamie,

You can check if it is working for any user by opening a user account and clicking the Add/Remove Configuration Items and it should list linked CI's there, or alternatively write a query against the User COnfiguration items object.

The error "11/16/2011 10:48:09 AM : Target Key Attribute Value cannot be null User Configuration Item.User" would indicate one of the imported CI's has a null value set for the LDAP Dist. Name attribute so it cannot link to any user, hence you get this error. If you write a query against Config Item and add a condition to show all CI's where this field is NULL it should help identify the problem CI's.

Cheers,

Hadyn Dawson

• Expert 233 posts since
    Jan 27, 2009

7. Dec 12, 2011 3:21 PM (in response to Jamie Cannon)

Hi Jamie,

You only need to map a minimum of one field in a data import, and set this as a Target Key Attribute. It is irrelevant which field you use but it should be unique. So first step, lets check a few things-

1. The Primary Owner information in your CI Data source matches the LDAP distinguished name information in the User account for the person listed as the primary owner?
    2. In your Linking mapping you've mapped a unique field from the source to the same field under the CI related object as you've done in the CI import?
    3. In your Linking mapping you've mapped the Primary Owner field from your source to the LDAP distinguished name field on the User related object?
    4. You've set a Target Key Attribute on both related objects to be the relevant unique field?

If you check all four of these items and the answer is Yes to all four then something odd is going on, but I would suspect that at least of these has been missed, or possible point 1 would indicate the information about the primary owner in your CI source doesn't match the LDAP Dist. Name in your User source resulting in a mismatch.

Cheers,

Hadyn

• Expert 233 posts since
    Jan 27, 2009

10. Dec 13, 2011 7:43 PM (in response to Jamie Cannon)

Hi Jamie,

I have set this up a couple of times for customers but I don't have any snaps to hand sorry. Your mappings look fine, however the only difference I can see between yours and mine is that I don't map anything on the main object, only the related objects, so that may be something you could try.

If that fails I would suggest raising this with support as it sounds like something very odd is happening.

Cheers,

Hadyn

EDIT: You could try mapping Login Name from the data source to Name on User instead, as Login Name is the LDAP login used to login to the machine so this may work for you instead of LDAP distinguished name.

• Expert 233 posts since
    Jan 27, 2009

13. Dec 14, 2011 3:01 PM (in response to Jamie Cannon)

Hi Jamie,

Those errors are normal, because in most cases not every item in the source will have a Primary Owner/Login Name so you will get the occasional one like this. What you can do with those errors is track down the CI's and look at updating the data manually in the source, but that is another discussion Congratulations on getting this working.

Cheers,

Hadyn

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software