766 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 14, 2012 9:23 AM by Bricktop RSS
Bricktop Apprentice 59 posts since
Mar 18, 2009

Has received 2 of 9 achievements.
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 14, 2012 9:09 AM

Another Instance on the same server

Hey all,

I'm thinking of putting a system on the same server as our live when we move to 7.5, although I want to try and strip out a significant amount of data with the view to turning into a much cleaner LIVE server, running side by side for a while, and then setting our current LIVE system as an archive which will only be used for reporting on historical data. I'm thinking I have two potential ways of achieving this:

1 - Create a new database, install an OOTB copy of the database, run installer/mdm to create the new "instance", and design transfer in the stuff I want, objects/windows/queries/processes etc.

or

2 - Create a new database, backup/restore my current LIVE database, run installer/mdm to create the new "instance", and get LANDesk to write a script to strip out all the rubbish I wan't to remove (so I can review what goes back) such as Categories, Lists, Response Levels, Escalation Points, Service Level Matrix, Users, Locations & Calls

Has anyone tried or planning to try something similar and what way would/did you do it?

I don't want to rebuild the whole system manually as it would just take far too long and if I do try doing this it does need to be done as quickly/cheaply as possible and I'm sort of swaying towards option 1, but the accuracy/reliability of Design Transfer puts me off a little and the fact it'll be me doing it all and if it doesn't work properly it could cause me a lot of headache (although I believe it would leave me with the cleanest result), or should I go for option 2 and let LANDesk have the headache ?

Any other ideas on how to achieve this welcome

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software