Skip navigation
2277 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2012 1:04 PM by schroederb RSS
schroederb Rookie 20 posts since
Oct 23, 2009

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 23, 2012 6:45 AM

How to create a custom definition and install a MSI file.

Objective:  Create a custom definition which will install the latest version of Flash.

Issue:  I have followed the attached document "How to Create Custom Definitions in 90.pdf" and downloaded the latest version of flash, install_flash_player_11_active_x_32bit.msi.  However, I am not having any luck with step 8, "Execute a Program" and installing the MSI file.  Can anyone assist?

I know everything is working fine up to the point of "Execute a Program".  One step prior I have "Copy a File" set to copy the "install_flash_player_11_active_x_32bit.msi" file to the sdmcache folder and this occurs.

MSI Error.jpg

• zman Master 3,277 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Has received 9 of 9 achievements.

Under arguments you are just using the variable %sdmcache% which is just the folder path to the cache folder. you need to append %PATCHFILENAME%. So:

%SDMCACHE%%PATCHFILENAME%

%PATCHFILENAME is whatever you have listed in patch information to download.

Sorry just saw you are copying a file. You will need to specify the location of where you are copying the file. So if you are copying it into SDMCACHE then it would be

%SDMCACHE%\your filename.msi.

I try not to use copy file alot, and instead like to place it in the designated patch folder and configure "Patch Information"

• tanner SupportEmployee 155 posts since
    Jun 4, 2008

Has received 5 of 9 achievements.

Zman is right. You probably don't need the copy file. In the section just above that "Patch Information", in the top dropdown, you probably selectd "Repairing this issue requires downloading a patch". Then you probably put the patch information in.

With that information, LANDesk will automatically download the patch file (in this case an MSI) to the sdmcache, and you can run it from there.

For the command lines, I always recommend using static values and paths as litte as possible. That ensures the maximum compatability. Right now it looks like you have:

/i "c:\program files\landesk\ldclient\sdmcache\Flash-11_1_102_62.msi" /quiet

Even better would be as Zman said:

%SDMCACHE%%PATCHFILENAME%

Vulscan can correctly resolve those values, so on a 32-bit machine it will be C:\Program Files\..\sdmcache, and on 64-bit machines it will be C:\Program Files (x86)\..\sdmcache. It will even work if you have moved the sdmcache somewhere else.

I would also recommend using the %windir% environment variable in the path just in case some of the computers don't have msiexec in the search path (rare, I know but, just in case)

Dec 14, 2007

Personal preference...I prefer to place the patch/custom exe using "Patch Information - repairing this ...requires downloading a patch" and allow LANDesk to deploy it to the workstation - just a habit.

Dec 14, 2007

In Patch Information is the unique file name Flash-11_1_102_62.msi. Should work we use it all the time. %SDMCACHE% and other are not OS environment variables so they will no resolve in a cmd prompt. Maybe send a screen shot of the Patch Information screen and Patch Install Commands.

Dec 14, 2007

Hmmm....... Try this:

Path:   %windir%\system32\msiexec.exe
    Args:   /i"$(FULLPATHTOBINARY)$(PATCHBINARY)" /quiet /norestart

I've used this for .msu files.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software