Skip navigation
1 2 Previous Next 5149 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2012 5:55 PM by Sundiata Kita-Bradshaw RSS
dynamozappa Apprentice 107 posts since
Dec 17, 2007

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 14, 2012 7:53 AM

Landesk Software Dist. doesn't work.....and just sucks.

I am so tired of Landesk services not working like they should.I have been having so many ridiculous issues with trying to push out a 15 Mb. file. You would think that would be something landesk SD could handle but it can't. I have installed SP3 and updated all the clients on the machines which i am trying to deploy the software. And i have tried every combination of delivery method and distribution type for this program and all it says is "task queued at client for execution." Even if i set it to Multicast only i see no sign of the file on the client. I've got no time to search through hard to find log files and try to find the answers to inexplicable problems (like different agent responded, even though i KNOW the same agent is installed that is installed on every other machine).

Im not really looking for an answer because i don't really have the time because now i have to log in manually to 25 machines and install the 15 Mb. .msi file. I'm really just venting because landesk is a pain in my ass. I waste about 20% of my week trying to find out why LDMS 9 is failing at something. And it's ALWAYS something; either it's, agent issues, provisioning issues, patch issues, remote control issues, and of course, SOFTWARE DISTRIBUTION issues.

if you are thinking about buying landesk management suite for your company.......DON'T! it sucks.

i know it's not worth much but that is my two cents.

back to sneaker-netting.

• LANDeskWizrd Expert 506 posts since
    Jul 2, 2008

Has received 8 of 9 achievements.

You may want to read up on task queueing before you start going on a rampage. Software Distribution is doing what it is supposed to do which wait its turn to process whatever it is trying to do. If another instance of sdclient, vulscan, provisioning are running then it will wait its turn. Fyi, you can disable task queueing on the distribution package so that the task will just fail instead of queue itself up.

I would not be quick to blame the product if you are not reading up on these functionalities or your environment is not setup correctly. LANDesk is like anything else, configure it correctly and it will work great, configure it poorly and it will perform poorly.

• zman Master 3,277 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Has received 9 of 9 achievements.

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-24532

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-22922

Sounds like you have a hung task on the client (a package that is crapped up). Think of it as a truck that is jack knifed in the middle of the highway and no other cars can get by (cars are you distribution jobs). You will need to clear the queue. Support has a script that will do that. Normally I try and find the root cause as why the installation of a package hung, before wiping out the hung job (killing sdclient).

• LANDeskWizrd Expert 506 posts since
    Jul 2, 2008

sdclient.exe can hang for various reasons. One big reason is a bad package, meaning that it wasn't truly silent and is waiting for some input. It will never get this input since, by default, it is running under the SYSTEM account. Not saying that is what you are experiencing but possible. One easy way to clean up the queue that has worked for me in the past was to create a Managed Script that cleans out the queue and then try the push again. My script looks like this

[MACHINES_NT]
    REMEXEC0=cmd /c net stop "Intel Local Scheduler Service"
    REMEXEC01=cmd /c taskkill /F /IM sdclient.exe /T
    REMEXEC04=cmd /c taskkill /F /IM taskqueue.exe /T
    REMEXEC05=cmd /c net start "Intel Local Scheduler Service"
    REMEXEC06=cmd /c del /f /q "%LDMS_CLIENT_DIR%\sdclient.tasks.xml"
    ;REMEXEC07=cmd /c del /f /q "%LDMS_CLIENT_DIR%\..\Shared Files\cbaroot\alert\queue\internal*.xml"
    REMEXEC08=cmd /c net stop "LANDesk Policy Invoker"
    REMCOPY09=%DTMDIR%\DeleteTaskQueue.exe, %LDMS_CLIENT_DIR%\DeleteTaskQueue.exe,TOREMOTE
    REMEXEC10=cmd /c "%LDMS_CLIENT_DIR%\DeleteTaskQueue.exe"
    REMEXEC11=cmd /c net start "LANDesk Policy Invoker"

Managed scripts don't get affected by the queue since custjob.exe does not care. Others can chime in with different scripts or better methods but this is what has worked for me.

• Frank Wils SSMMVPGroup 1,219 posts since
    Feb 25, 2008

For your multicast error... Do yuo have any firewall active on that PC? Of course it can be that RC is allowed, but MC is blocked...

Frank

Axle-IT

• MarXtar SSMMVPGroup 2,061 posts since
    Jul 2, 2008

OK, first thing - You Aren't Mad. You're angry and frustrated, but not mad. LANDesk is obviously not working for you right now.

Second thing though is that something has caused it to go this way and unless that gets fixed then trying again and again is just going to pile up the pain you are having and make it unbearable, so no matter how hard it is you have to overcome the frustration and go back to first principles.

The first principle I'd like to visit is that targeted multicast works. I know that because I just sent XPSP3 out as a test to machines across multiple subnets and it did what it was meant to.  Not trying to rub this in your face or say I don't believe it didn't work for you just that the issue is that it isn't working for you for some reason, it should, and that is why we need to take this right back.

If you aren't on v9 SP3, then get there. Best place to start from with one really big caveat, if you've done a lot with HII and or in a mixed WinXP and Win7 encironment then you might have issues with the new HII model, so watch out for that on the community. A patch is available to those that request it but I don't think the work is complete yet (quick note, LANDesk is working as designed, driver detection is broken because vendors seem to be lazy when writing their .inf files). I say go there because it gives you a solid base to work from and a reason to nuke/re-install every client and attempt to clear up whatever it is that is causing your issues.

Even without SP3 you could ignore every other machine for the time being and get yourself a nice sample group and clean them up. Get a new client configuration setup, remove the old client config off those machines and get your new one on there. Once you've done that, then just test the functionality to prove to yourself that it works. Get confident in the base functionality rather than throwing more jobs at systems that aren't doing what you expected. Do what you can to avoid using any non-pristine clients even as subnet reps.

I know this is probably teaching you to suck eggs, but this is the reverse of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' - it is broke, so you need to fix it and tempting though it is to hit it with something blunt and heavy that probably won't do anything except make you feel a little less frustrated in the short term.

There is every likelihood that something in your environment is causing the system to become unhappy, networks, conflicting software, the users themselves, but until you get basics working then you're looking for a needle in a haystack.

LANDesk is not perfect by a long stretch. It has some fantastic ways of achieving things and more ways of doing them than you can shake a stick at but what makes it work for you is probably different to what makes it work for other people. Also, every product has their issues; I know that because I replace them with LANDesk because of those people being frustrated and I do everything I can to prevent those people doing the same things that led to the other product failing.

Rebuilding a system from first principles (not necessarily a clean re-install, rather a reset of patch levels and mind sets) can take time but it can be worthwhile. It is one of the main ways I've taken other organisations from the brink of throwing the whole thing out to the point where they wouldn't part with it for the world.

If ultimately the product cannot cope in your environment then that is one thing, but if the application of time and focus can bring it back on track is that something you'd be willing to do?

Calm, deep breaths, focus, use the force, whatever it is you need to do in order to bring this back on track.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

http://landesk.marxtar.co.uk

LANDesk Silver ESP

Join us on the 23rd Feb for our UK LANDesk Mobility Seminar (Smart, Laptop & Data) - Food & Fun too!

The One-Stop Shop for LANDesk Enhancements

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

• MarXtar SSMMVPGroup 2,061 posts since
    Jul 2, 2008

Good luck jeff.

Also, if it does get to the smashing up point, have a variety of tools to hand as well as strong boots. More satisfying if you have different ways to achieve the objective.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

http://landesk.marxtar.co.uk

LANDesk Silver ESP

Join us on the 23rd Feb for our UK LANDesk Mobility Seminar (Smart, Laptop & Data) - Food & Fun too!

The One-Stop Shop for LANDesk Enhancements

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software