Skip navigation
1003 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2012 9:45 AM by hhmis RSS
hhmis Apprentice 44 posts since
Jan 3, 2010

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 29, 2012 8:03 PM

Search results being returned as "Null"

We have created two ordered lists to use in our request module (Request Type and Employment Status). The process is setup to do access request. We would like to have these display in the search results whenever we search for the person we are giving access to.

For example: Searching  for Jim Miller....In the reuslts we would like to see what was chosen for request type and employment status for Jim Miller. Currently they are showing as "Null". Thanks in advance.

Knowledge_Results.JPG

• KarenPeacock Employee 1,131 posts since
    Jul 29, 2008

Has received 6 of 9 achievements.
    1. Mar 1, 2012 2:14 AM (in response to hhmis)
    Re: Search results being returned as "Null"

Hi

It looks as if you've added these into your search results layout but without building the information stored in them into your knowledge index.  You can add them into your knowledge index by going into Object Designer and setting the attribute properties to IsNaturalLanguage (more details in the manuals if you need them.)  Then after a rebuild hopefully all should work.

Best wishes

Karen

• gman1981 Apprentice 78 posts since
    Jan 12, 2009

Has received 2 of 9 achievements.
    3. Mar 1, 2012 6:28 AM (in response to hhmis)

In addition to making them knowledgeable - you need to make sure the rebuild takes them into account. Go into Knowledge Management Administration, and then select Configuration, drill down to the Request Type and Employment status and then make sure they are checked before rebuilding the knowledge.

See screenshot

Attachments:
    Jul 29, 2008

5. Mar 1, 2012 12:23 PM (in response to hhmis)

Hi

One last idea then I would suggest contacting your support provider: 

I've seen it sometimes not pickup the newly added attributes sometimes if the knowledge builder service is running.  I would suggest stopping this service (called knowledge builder in version 7.3.1 and under or background services in later versions).  Then in object designer (not knowledge administration) switch one of your knowledgeable objects to not being knowledgeable, save, switch it back on again and then save.  This should put a metadata refresh queue entry in that you can view via knowledge administration - queue entries.  Then start your knowledge builder service again.

Just to mention if you are on 7.3.2 or later you might want to do this out of usual business hours as background services does lots of other important jobs (escalation point expiry notifications, user session cleanup, scheduled actions etc..) if you aren't ok with these being delayed by a couple of minutes whilst the service isn't running.

Best wishes

Karen

• afrogers Apprentice 143 posts since
    Jan 7, 2009

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
    6. Mar 9, 2012 5:08 AM (in response to hhmis)

Did you manage to resolve this?  I've added the Knowledge Domain attribute to my standard knowledge search layout but it keeps coming up Null, I've followed all the steps mentioned in this post including Karen's workaround but still no joy, I'm on 7.4

Jul 29, 2008

8. Mar 9, 2012 7:38 AM (in response to hhmis)

Hi

Calvin has just mentioned to me about this article of his which is relevant to your issues:

How to add related/inherited fields to search results

The article had been archived, as no-one had rated it as useful since it was added, so we've just reinstated it.  This is done so that the community content doesn't get filled with old articles that no one is using anymore and may not be relevant to newer versions.  Just a little reminder to the community to please rate articles that you use.  The ratings are now located at the bottom of the article text (you can give up to 5 stars).

Best wishes

Karen

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software