Skip navigation
212 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2012 1:00 PM by jkhill RSS
jkhill Apprentice 57 posts since
Jul 13, 2010

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 15, 2012 12:45 PM

MSI distribution fails until it doesn't

I have a very simple MSI that deploys a small number of COM objects.  It takes about ten seconds to run and works flawlessly.  It was provided by the vendor.

I scheduled a job to push out this simple MSI to about 200 machines.  I used a push delivery method that was set to reboot if needed and run from source.  The source was a URL hosted by the core server.

I was very surprised to see that more than half of the machines reported a 1619, which I understand means the msi could not be found.  I removed the ones that reported No Error and tried again.  This time about half succeeded, half failed.  I removed the successes, tried again and 2/3 succeeded.  I did it again and they all succeeded.

Is this a scalability issue in LDMS 9 SP2?  I wouldn't think 200 machines (or, in the second-to-last, about 60) would pose a scale problem, but that seems to be what happened.

Thanks.

• Frank Wils SSMMVPGroup 1,212 posts since
    Feb 25, 2008

Has received 8 of 9 achievements.
    1. Apr 17, 2012 8:02 AM (in response to jkhill)
    Re: MSI distribution fails until it doesn't

Sounds more like a limit on the share to me...

Frank

• zman Master 3,277 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Has received 9 of 9 achievements.
    3. Apr 17, 2012 8:30 AM (in response to jkhill)

It may be rights. The filer does not have IIS so there is no way to grant IUSR rights to the box and there are some rather strange issues with IIS, rights, VUNC and using external shares. Why not just point the package to the unc path of the filer?  Also look at the sdclient/msi logs on the clients that are succesful and see where they are pulling the patch from.

• zman Master 3,277 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Has received 9 of 9 achievements.
    5. Apr 17, 2012 9:26 AM (in response to jkhill)

The share does not have to be open - just give explicit user/group rights or domain computers read rights. You can also setup preferred server with explicit credentials to the shares. What is the specs of the server? Have you placed any IIS lImits (bandwidth, connection time outs, or limit the number of connections).  Do you have any MCPs installed for SP2? I seem to remember some issues with SP2 and flaky downloads.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software