Skip navigation
322 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2012 3:14 AM by RichardA RSS
nesdog Apprentice 78 posts since
Mar 25, 2010

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 26, 2012 12:02 PM

Inventory Not Updating

This one is puzzling and making me a bit nuts! So appreciate any insights.

We are running 9.02.03.  I have over 1000 client machines with agents pushed to them. The agent is configured for inventory scans once a day however over time, what I see in the list of devices is that the computer last scanned field ages too much. What I should see when I list the computers is the current date or yesterday, as long as the PC was online on the network.

In other words, it appears that they are either not checking in or the scan is not run. Eventually, I end up having to reinstall the agent to bring everything up to date. It doesn't happen on all machines, but a pretty a fair percentage of them. So someplace I've got something messed up but I'm not sure what.

Ideas?

Thanks....

• MarXtar SSMMVPGroup 2,050 posts since
    Jul 2, 2008

Has received 8 of 9 achievements.
    1. Apr 27, 2012 1:05 AM (in response to nesdog)
    Re: Inventory Not Updating

What options did you set for the inventory scanning in your agent configuration?

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

http://landesk.marxtar.co.uk

LANDesk Silver ESP

The One-Stop Shop for LANDesk Enhancements

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

- State Notifier - Real-Time Device & User State Inventory Updating & Alerting

• Frank Wils SSMMVPGroup 1,212 posts since
    Feb 25, 2008

Has received 8 of 9 achievements.
    2. Apr 27, 2012 1:54 AM (in response to nesdog)

Did you configure some kind of filter on your inventory scan? You say it should run once per day, but did you put timelimits or machine state filters?

You can check the local scheduler on the machine (localsch.exe /tasks | more) to see what tasks are actively scheduled or check this in the Inventory of the device under LANDesk Management.

Frank

• RichardA Apprentice 152 posts since
    Apr 14, 2010

Has received 4 of 9 achievements.
    4. Apr 30, 2012 3:14 AM (in response to nesdog)

I'd emphasize what Frank said about checking the local scheduler tasks. I've seen (admittedly very few) situations where an agent is missing half of it's local tasks, including the one that runs the daily inventory scan, for no obvious reason. I'm not sure if the tasks never existing (and therefore the inventory data on the core would be what was submitted during agent installtion) or went missing at some point down the line.

On a problem machine, if you right-click it in the console and select Inventory Scan -> Full Sync Scan, does the task complete successfully and update the inventory on the core? If it works, it certainly suggests the scanner isn't simply broken, and it's likely to be a problem with scheduling.

Using Frank's command (or check the LANDesk Management -> Local Scheduler -> Schedule Tasks invnentory branch, if the data is up-to-date), I'd normally expect to see 6 or 7 scheduled tasks on a machine. The daily inventory scan (as far as I'm aware) always has task ID 777.

If the tasks are missing, you can probably fix this using the Schedule update to agent settings feature, which is a little easier and safer than redeploying the whole agent.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software