Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
236 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2012 7:38 AM by Frank Wils RSS
dblansky Apprentice 121 posts since
Jan 31, 2012

Has received 3 of 9 achievements.
Currently Being Moderated

May 3, 2012 10:52 AM

System pane in Inventory - additional variables?

When I select the "SYSTEM" entry in the inventory window, I would like to be able to see some additonal details, including Physical RAM (Bytes total).

Is there any way to insert an entry referencing that variable so it will display with my system overview, rather than having to switch to the "Memory" area (or other areas for additonal info I may want to include)?

I have tried adding an integer & using the %d MB as referenced in the "Memory --> Phycical --> Bytes total" selection, but it just shows as 0...  not sure how to get it to scan for the correct RAM size...

Thanks!

Dave

• zman Master 3,277 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Has received 9 of 9 achievements.
    1. May 3, 2012 11:02 AM (in response to dblansky)
    Re: System pane in Inventory - additional variables?

What version and SP of LANDesk are you running?

Dec 14, 2007

3. May 3, 2012 12:14 PM (in response to dblansky)

Well without going into the DB and schema and all those scary parts of LDMS, I would suggest you take a look at the Inspector. I'm still trying to get my arms around it since it is very differnt then the other extenders and is all DB driven (one of it's weaknesses for me). But you should be able to, with a little reading, some SQL query skills, and some patience get what you want (e.g., a System tab with all the information you want to see).  I think I will still use Jared's Extender and Inspector until HOPEFULLY they merge the both functionality into one tool.

• cberwald1 Apprentice 25 posts since
    Apr 17, 2012

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
    4. May 3, 2012 12:16 PM (in response to dblansky)

With something like this, you'll have to be careful.

Custom fields are blocked by default to prevent database corruption. It can be unblocked of course (see link below). However, I'm not certain it can be copied down to the System field. It may only show up in the Computer--> Custom Data --> Registry --> LANDesk Custom Fields

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-7545

• BlairK Apprentice 71 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008

Has received 3 of 9 achievements.
    5. May 3, 2012 1:36 PM (in response to dblansky)

It may not be the simple solution you are looking for based on it being an additional cost on top of management suite. However for your reference and for visibility of others looking for similar capability, the new LANDesk data analytics offering (previously managed planet) includes a map data feature which can copy inventory data attributes around between different inventory fields. You could copy the Computer.Memory.Physical.Bytes Total field to Computer.System.RAM Total using that feature and also it would allow you to normalise it where required to MB instead of Bytes or similar.

• Frank Wils SSMMVPGroup 1,212 posts since
    Feb 25, 2008

Has received 8 of 9 achievements.
    8. May 4, 2012 3:31 AM (in response to dblansky)

For some information you will need to install real time monitoring with your agent, for other information you can change xml's from the inspector as described here :

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-25070

There are 2 console extenders, the first is in the support tools as you have installed, the other is a free plugin from managed planet that is free to use in their suite:

http://www.managedplanet.com/

Frank

• MarXtar SSMMVPGroup 2,056 posts since
    Jul 2, 2008

9. May 4, 2012 6:13 AM (in response to dblansky)

There is another way you could handle this without any plug-ins; not sure if it's right for you but I'll mention it anyway.

Don't forget you can use Custom Column configurations. This lets you choose which attributes are shown in the main console so that you don't have to drill further into the machine. Might be worth configuring and setting as your default column set.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

http://landesk.marxtar.co.uk

LANDesk Silver ESP

The One-Stop Shop for LANDesk Enhancements

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

- State Notifier - Real-Time Device & User State Inventory Updating & Alerting

Dec 14, 2007

10. May 4, 2012 6:28 AM (in response to MarXtar)

Great point Mark, dblansky if it is blank window you may be running this on a remote console without inspector loaded on the core. I let support know about this and I put a comment on the FAQ. Realtime Inventory is only used processes and services and such. I think Jared's solution for this is much better since I simply use it with sysinternal Plist.

Feb 25, 2008

11. May 4, 2012 6:37 AM (in response to zman)

Zman,  Although far from being a fan of real time monitoring, the big advantage is that it uses local system for the service and process control. Console extenders use the logged in windows account, which in many cases with remote console's isnt an administrator... LANDesk should just provide a better and easier way to do this realtime desktop management from within the console with a more stable and faster agent functionality than what it uses now.

Frank

Dec 14, 2007

Frank,

Good point however, I uses many of the sysinternals utilities that either allow for the use of the system account -s or any other account you use. My big disappointment with Inspector is the lack to call external scripts, utilities, etc... They should merge the functionality of the current extenders with Inspector. Not everything we want to Inspect lives in the DB. Example, I use Jared's extender when I want to run simple external scripts on a device without creating a packages, creating a scheduled task, adding it,and running it. Just RC and select the item - BAM - very simple very easy. Plus the customization of Jared's extender is so much easier with the gui. I realize that both are providing separate functionality but it would be great to merge them.  Unfortunately i have to use both now.

Feb 25, 2008

13. May 4, 2012 7:38 AM (in response to zman)

I agree with you 110%, Zman. Unfortunately, not everything can be done with Sysinternal tools, but yes, it is a good workaround. I wish for an all-in-one solution from LANDesk too. As it is now, i use sometimes even 3 extenders... (!) The inspector which is very good for all DB related things, Jared's extender, which is great for running things on the client and MP's console extender for tools that run on the server and need more often multi-select, as multi-select in Jared's extender is unfortunately broken currently...

Frank

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software