Skip navigation
712 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2012 6:17 AM by zman RSS
Apprentice 160 posts since
Mar 18, 2010

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
Currently Being Moderated

May 16, 2012 6:52 AM

TMCSVC.EXE Killing Our VMs

So I finally got some time to upgrade to LDMS 9.0 SP3 on Monday night.  After the upgrade, everything went fine.  That is, until the next morning when systems started running their compliance scans.  Our VMWare cluster got hammered.  Apparently, all of the VMs cpu usage shot up to 100%.  The process responsible was TMCSVC.exe.  We shut down the core server, and that fixed the problem instantly.  After some troubleshooting with LANDesk, we determined that the cause of the tmcsvc.exe usage was from clients running their vulnerability scans.  LANDesk does a check to make sure the vulscan files are updated.  If not, it pulls them from the core.  Apparently, it uses multicast to do that.  The workload on the random servers was so much it crushed the host systems.  Random systems that aren't in our VM cluser were clocking 2-10% cpu usage for tmcsvc.exe.  We've only got 1500 clients in this subnet, and we have a 3 hour random scan window in the morning.  Has anyone else ever experienced something like this?  I figure that either I have LANDesk configured wrong, we have vmware configured wrong, or too many systems in the same subnet?  I'm just a little worried.  I don't want to be the one who killed all of our servers at the same time...even if it's only temporarily.

• zman Master 3,277 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Has received 9 of 9 achievements.
    1. May 16, 2012 8:38 AM (in response to DanDinolfo)
    Re: TMCSVC.EXE Killing Our VMs

So were the clients also updated or just the core. I stalked tmcsvc.exe during a normal vulscan 0% utilization. I then smoked all my vulscan client configuration files, and then ran vulscan again - 0% utilization.  Vulscan did consume about 25%.  Any hips/Viruscan etc... on the vmware clients?

Dec 14, 2007

4. May 16, 2012 2:19 PM (in response to DanDinolfo)

Looks weird, what version/sp are the clients experiencing the issue. I can't remember TMC being used for vulscan updates, but lately I can't remember a lot of things.

Dec 14, 2007

6. May 17, 2012 6:17 AM (in response to DanDinolfo)

So you can do a couple of things to prevent the auto update. You can run vulscan with /noupdate switch, or push out the new client.  That amount of files that is being updated should not cause an issue, so I would guess there is a issue with the SP2 version of TMCSVC.EXE.  If you push out the new client you can do it in a controlled fashion, taking care to not over burden your VM clusters. We have an enormous VMware architecture and have never seen this issue.

If it were me I would start pushing the new client to a test group and evaluate and then start upgrading your VM clusters first.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software