Skip navigation
1 2 3 4 Previous Next 7164 Views 52 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2013 2:22 PM by Laszlo RSS Go to original post
  • EMiranda Expert 681 posts since
    Aug 26, 2009

Has received 7 of 9 achievements.
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Apr 5, 2013 11:56 AM (in response to Laszlo)
    Re: LDMS 9.5 PXE boot using UEFI enabled device

just to chime in, we have HP Elitepads with UEFI and I have not been able to successfuly boot into PXE via winpe 3.1 or 4.0. Always time out.

• davidg5700 Apprentice 64 posts since
    Dec 8, 2009

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
    16. Apr 5, 2013 2:46 PM (in response to Laszlo)

I had an issue PXE booting Lenovo Thinkcentre M92's, they'd do the ">>Start PXE over IPv4" and hang there without giving any form of PXE error message.  There is an option in the startup section of the BIOS for CSM that needs to be enabled.  The help message for this option states "Compatibility Support Module.  Permit the loading of traditional operating systems.  Enable: to suppoort Non-UEFI operation system.  Disable: to support Win8 64-bit and later UEFI aware operation system."

This may not be the issue that some have reported, but I hope it does help someone out.

• johnk Apprentice 43 posts since
    Dec 14, 2008

19. May 8, 2013 8:37 PM (in response to Laszlo)

We have HP Elitepad 900 devices. Using Landesk 9.5 but unable to get past the Start PXE over IPv4 Screen. I have scheduled a provisioning template for this machine but no luck.

• eric christensen SupportEmployee 197 posts since
    Jul 14, 2011

Has received 5 of 9 achievements.
    21. May 9, 2013 7:24 AM (in response to Laszlo)

If you are using HP elitepads you will need either the HP Elitepad patch that is available on community (

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-27531) or the Base 0228a patch that is only available from support. This is due to a change in WinPE support for 32-bit UEFI which requires WinPE 4.0 (support added by the patch). As Laszlo noted, UEFI requires a scheduled provisioning task for the network boot. You will not get a menu when you network boot UEFI.

As far as the issue with UEFI that is fixed in sp1, that issue affects some hardware and is an issue with the windows 7 boot manager. It will be resolved in sp1, but again, only affects some hardware.

Dec 14, 2008

22. May 13, 2013 12:00 AM (in response to eric christensen)

Thanks for the reply Eric and Laszlo,

I updated the server with the Elitepad Patch. 
    I have redeployed the PXE rep, I have created a provisioning template and have scheduled the machine to boot to this template. (Imported the machine via ldscan) but the screen is stuck on ">>>Start PXE over IPv4, Press [ESC] to EXIT..."

No Other screen displays then after timeout I get "Network Not Found"

I'm trying to boot via the HP Elitepad Dock Station.. Unfortunately I don't have a network attachment so I can try without the Docking Station

I tested our current Lenovo Machines (These run on Legacy BIOS, X201, T410, M58 etc..) and these boot to PXE and Image correctly with the new 4.0 WinPE.

Has anyone else had success with HP Elitepads?

Thanks

Dec 14, 2008

23. May 13, 2013 12:22 AM (in response to eric christensen)

I tried creating boot media as a workaround to image the machines but the boot media it creates are bootx64.efi while the elitepad 900 are EFI 32 bit

• eric christensen SupportEmployee 197 posts since
    Jul 14, 2011

Has received 5 of 9 achievements.
    25. May 13, 2013 7:08 AM (in response to Laszlo)

You indicated that you scheduled the machine to the template. Did you start the template? As you start it, it will go to active, then to pending again. Then you should be able to network book.

Dec 14, 2008

Yep I had started the Task and the machine is now back at Pending

Dec 14, 2008

27. May 13, 2013 7:26 PM (in response to Laszlo)

Hi Lazlo,

I have created a 32 Bit Win PE 4.0 Image. Just need the NIC drivers to get it onto the network. Did you need to add any landesk software to the WinPE image or once it was on the network you could see it via the console and push out the provisioning task required?

Thanks

Dec 14, 2008

28. May 13, 2013 10:48 PM (in response to eric christensen)

Hi,

I have logged it with support but these are the steps I am performing for PXE boot let me know if a step is missing

1. Retrieve the MAC address of the machine I would like to image

2. Import the machine to Bare Metal Servers with the MAC Address or Import it into devices via ldscan with a CSV file

3. I have some provisioning tasks that are used for Windows 7 but I'll schedule them just to test PXE booting for the UEFI device

4. I schedule one of the templates and move the new imported machine from devices to the task

5. I run the task and wait until it returns back to "Pending"

6. I plug in a UEFI device to the network and start it up and then force it to boot via IPv4 PXE

7. Device displays screen >>Start PXE over IPv4... Waits for around 60 Seconds and times out

I let it log back into Windows and verify that it can get an IP Address on the network and can ping servers etc.. So Network is definitely working

I've tested with a 32 Bit UEFI (HP Elitepad) and 64 Bit UEFI (Lenovo Helix) and I am unable to get any to boot.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software