Skip navigation
3504 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2011 11:40 AM by gwsmith RSS
Apprentice 114 posts since
Dec 20, 2010

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 11, 2011 2:55 PM

how Automatic Action Instances work

I'm trying to figure out how Automatic Action Instances work.  In the Process Designer, I go to Business Objects, Incident, and Action.  Here is a list of actions.  But all they really seem to be is titles.  We have one called "Start Clock".  If I open it up, it has a title, no decription, and Allow Association with Window is set to False.  How can that possible stop the clock on the SLA from running?  It's nothing but a title.  I was expecting to see some setting here that sets a value for a field in a database, but it's nothing but a title.  In the flow chart, the "Start Clock" action is followed by a status (which must be what really stops the clock).  So is that all an Automatic Action Instance is - a green box in the flow chart, a kind of placeholder with nothing but a title?

• dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup 2,251 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007

Has received 7 of 9 achievements.
    1. Jan 11, 2011 3:27 PM (in response to gwsmith)
    Re: how Automatic Action Instances work

An automatic action is broadly the same as a regular action except the person designing the process has to fill in the contents of the window.  Now Start clock is windowless actions so it doesn't pop a window and don't need any data.  You can just add and use it in the process.  If you create a new action with a window or in the process add an automatic action like add note which has a window, then it will be added into the process and you will be expected to fill in the contents of the window as part of designing the process.

I realise that is aall a bit lightweight, but fi you grab a copy of the process designer manual fof the CD, then there should be some fuller explainations in there.

• lianne.redding Apprentice 59 posts since
    Jan 11, 2010

3. Jan 12, 2011 8:14 AM (in response to gwsmith)

Hi,

Stop and Start Clock actions are special system actions and have in-built functionality behind them to automatically make the necessary database updates to result in the clock stopping and starting

Thanks,

Lianne.

Jan 11, 2010

5. Jan 12, 2011 8:27 AM (in response to gwsmith)

what kind of database attributes are you hoping to update?   Is it values on the incident or is it to create/update a collection entry (e.g. note)

Jan 11, 2010

7. Jan 12, 2011 9:47 AM (in response to gwsmith)

You can use copy settings.

If you have 2 fields 'raise user' and 'end user', then set the 'end user' field to copy to 'raise user' field when the 'raise user' is empty.

This is done in window manager.  Select the 'end user' field on your window and go to properties.  Set the 'Copy On' setting to 'UpdateWhenEmpty' and set the 'Copy To' setting to 'raise user'.

The calculations in object designer that you were looking at use a language called boo and you have to write the code yourself.  I think the issue you would hit here is that the value that you're writing to in the calculation will become a read only attribute on the window so it's not suitable for you as you sometimes need to populate the field manually if the raise user and end user are different (correct me if I'm wrong someone!)

WIndowless actions are used to move a process on to a new status when nothing needs to be done e.g. we have a windowless 'Investigate' action from our Open status to move the incident to a status on 'Under Investigation' - we don't want to capture anything but we want an entry in the audit trail to indicate when the incident started being investigated (which is automatically written when the windowless action is taken).

Another reason for using a windowless action in process is to force something to happen automatically without the user needing to fill in any info.  e.g. in a process you could have a windowless action called 'Assign to Network Support' followed immediatley by an automatic assignment where the assignment window is populated to assign to Network Support.  On the incident when selecting this 'Assign to Network Support' you don't need to fill in any info but the result is that a new assignmnet is made to Network Support team.

Hope this helps

• Stu McNeill SupportEmployee 1,072 posts since
    Nov 11, 2008

Has received 7 of 9 achievements.
    8. Jan 12, 2011 10:07 AM (in response to lianne.redding)

Hi Grant,

You can also use an action to set/change values on the incident itself.  Create the action in Process Designer and set "allow window association?" to True.  When you add this as an automatic action to the process you'll see your incident window and you can then use a runtime value to set your user.  You should create a cut down incident window with just Title (you have to have this on) and your user dropdown, and temporarily make it the default window - this will then be the window that comes up when adding the action in Process Designer.

For more information take a look at this document: How to automatically set or update values on an incident.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software