I have taken a look at document 1105 for my initial troubleshooting steps but I haven't had success in getting past the "connecting to database" step upon login. It would fail with the following message:
[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).] SQL Server does not exist or access denied. Invalid connection string attribute.
The following items have been done on the CoreServer:
1. Added the registry entry (the keys did not exist) HKLM\Software\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\Core\Connections\Local. String == ServerName & Value == FQDN.
2. The SQL Server port was found to be non-standard by going to the registry: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\LDMSDATA\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib\TCP.
3. I have verified in SQL 2005 that named pipes & TCP/IP is enabled. I also verified that the IP address exists under the enabled TCP/IP properties as well as the proper port number found in #2.
4. Windows Firewall has allowed the non-standard port to accept incoming traffic.
The following items have been done on the workstation where the Remote Console is located:
1. Create a system DSN with the non-standard port. Connection succeeds when you do a test.
2. I am able to PING the server (FQDN & IP Address) and TELNET into the server using the non-standard port.
3. Enabled TCP/IP & Named Pipes in c:\Windows\System32\cliconfg.exe
4. Rebooted the workstation.
1. Regardless of whether the firewall is turned on/off, I am still unable to make a connection to the database.
Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
The solution was two fold:
I. Reconfigure the LANDesk Software Service: General tab - Database area - Server. I changed it from its NETBIOS name to IPADDRESS,PORT.
After passing authentication, I am now able to go beyond the "accessing database" message. However, I encountered an error message:
Invalid authorization specification. Invalid connection string attribute.
II. In order to address the above mentioned error message, a reference to http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-8201 was made.
The console is now properly working on a Windows 7 workstation.