Skip navigation
1 2 Previous Next 4227 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2011 8:51 AM by Jenny.Lardh RSS
ShaunB Apprentice 53 posts since
Aug 20, 2009

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 11, 2011 2:34 AM

CMDB - Incident Call Ref Problem

Hi all!

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me.  Not sure if this is an Incident problem or a Configuration Management problem - but I figured I'd post it here.

I have a requirement within my CMDB to display Incident Management information on Configuration Item screens.

For example:

On desktop CI types, we have a date/time attribute to record the installation date of individual devices.  Every device installation within the organisation is inititiated via a Service Desk call - therefore I'd like to display the associated call reference number on the desktop CI type window - next to the installation date.

To acheive this, I did the following:

1) Linked IncidentManagement.Incident Business Object to the ConfigurationManagement.ConfigurationItem (cf_configitem) Business Object; thus 'Incident' appears as an attribute within the Configuration Item Business Object.

2) Added the 'Incident' attribute to the 'Personal Computer' CI type window - the attribute appears as a drop down menu.

At this point all is fine, and LANDesk has performed all of the above exactly as I had expected.

When I pull down on this I am expecting to see the 'Incident.Title' attribute reflected.  In our organisation 'Incident.Title' = the Incident call summary, as opposed to the Incident call reference #, so I was planning to use an attribute filter to pull out the call reference number, which is in an attribute called 'Call Ref'.  However, even before applying any filters,  when I test the window and I open the 'Incident' drop down I am presented with a blank list.

Oddly, when I click into a blank white space area of the drop down menu, a call reference number is populated - so there must be data there somewhere!?!

I have tried everything to get some data to show.  I have tried creating an attribute query to pull out the call reference number and the call summary when you open the drop down - I can get the call summary appears in the drop down, but the call reference number does not.  When you run the query normally (i.e.: on it's own, outside the context of the window) both the reference number and the summary appear correctly; it simply does not work in the context of the drop down menu on the window.

I have also tried different combinations of simple/complex lists, I also applied a query to the drop down to limit the number results returned by the drop down, as originally the drop down returned >5000 pages of results - we have a lot of historical call data within the database and I thought perhaps the drop down was having problems rendering the data.  Even with just 15 pages of calls returned, the drop down remained blank.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get the call reference number to appear in this attribute?

Any assistance would be greatly received.  Thanks!

• Expert 233 posts since
    Jan 27, 2009

Has received 7 of 9 achievements.
    1. Jul 11, 2011 6:11 PM (in response to ShaunB)
    Re: CMDB - Incident Call Ref Problem

Hi Shaun,

You may have already tried this, but I would do the following-

1. Open the CI window

2. Highlight the Incident field (drop down)

3. Under properties, locate Query/Filter and select your created filter

4. Locate the property Complex List and change it to True

5. Locate the property Simple Dropdown and change it to False

6. Locate the property Page Size and set a value of say 25

6. Save the changes

To be sure you're loading a correct definition you could then close Console and clear your local cache. This should show the query correctly, display both columns and 25 records per page. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Hadyn

• masterpetz ITSMMVPGroup 387 posts since
    Feb 26, 2008

3. Jul 12, 2011 10:43 AM (in response to ShaunB)

Hi Shaun,

I read  your post a few times and try to reproduce your issue. I have the same behavior if i try to add a filter with a complex list on the incident reference in object designer. Nothing is returned, I can only scroll through the pages without results. Strange...

Next try was to add this filter on the drop down "Incident" on the CI window directly. Activated the complex list and test again. Here I get all attributes returned except the "reference number" attribute. Strange too...

So, what about this idea, you add on you CI window additionaly to your incident reference the "reference ID" and the "installation date" from the incident reference.

If you pick up now an incident from your drop down, the two other valeues are populated automatically and "read only". You don't have to use filters or queries.

In your case you just have to know the title of your incident...

Cheers

Christian

Feb 26, 2008

5. Jul 13, 2011 2:17 AM (in response to ShaunB)

Hi Shaun,

hm, don't want to destroy your hope but I tested it on a migrated servicedesk from 7.3.2 to 7.4. And the problem seems to be still there. Do you have a problem number for the bug?

I attached you two sceenshots from my workaround. Maybe it helps you.

Kind regards

Christian

Attachments:
    Feb 26, 2008

7. Jul 13, 2011 2:39 AM (in response to ShaunB)

Hi Shaun,

good idea...:-)

No, its no kind of copy rule. Just add the attributes, thats all.

Its the same as if you add attributes from your raise user to the main incident window like email address or phone number. These values are autopopulated.

Cheers

Christian

Feb 26, 2008

9. Jul 13, 2011 3:09 AM (in response to ShaunB)

Shaun,

did you remove all filters and queries from the incident reference (in window and object designer)? And disable the complex list too.

Cheers

Christian

Feb 26, 2008

11. Jul 13, 2011 3:48 AM (in response to ShaunB)

Nope, I have both options set to false. Strange that it did not work...

Sorry, I'm running out of ideas...

• martin.taylor@banctec.co.uk Rookie 12 posts since
    Jun 15, 2009

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
    13. Sep 13, 2011 5:39 AM (in response to ShaunB)

Shaun

Not sure if you still don't have an answer..

I had exactly the same issue (but I was linking an Incident to an incident).

My workaround was to include the Process Ref in the Filter - this is displayed.

The only slight drawback is that the process ref is proceeded by 'I-', 'P-' or 'C-' depending on the type.

Regards

Martin

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software