Skip navigation
2720 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2012 7:35 AM by Snowman RSS
Rookie 4 posts since
May 2, 2011

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 5, 2011 11:27 AM

SLM adding to the license tab

I am adding some licenses.  When I go to the discovered section I see several users with this software so I then go and add the software under the License tab. I associate the software using the manufacturer and product A.  Once this is complete I save and exit.  When I go back to check the compliance there are no covered products listed.  But is I go in the next day it shows.  Obviously there is something that runs overrnight that updates.  Can that be run during the day as i am creating new records?

• Snowman SupportEmployee 200 posts since
    Nov 15, 2007

Has received 3 of 9 achievements.
    1. Aug 5, 2011 2:10 PM (in response to djones)
    Re: SLM adding to the license tab

You need to recalculate the data. Click the calculator button when you have the License tab selected. It runs a different code path if you click the button with either of the other tabs selected.

• smittman Apprentice 53 posts since
    Sep 22, 2008

3. Jan 26, 2012 12:58 PM (in response to djones)

I am having difficultly in getting my licenses setup.  LDMS 9.0 SP3.  I have the software (Adobe Acrobat X Pro and Standard) setup in the Discovered, but when I add to the licenses tab do I choose 'Add License' or 'Add License Group'?  What is the difference between choosing 'Prodect Group' and 'One or two products only'?  It seems no matter what I do it creates two groups under the License tab (one that has the vendor from the Products tab and one with the vendor I put in on the License tab.  Even if it is the same, it still show 2 groups.  Although, when I delete one it deletes both.

Guess I am looking for a walkthrough of the Licenses part of LD SLM.  Can someone write up something showing how they do it?  Should I be 'Discovering' the Products before setting up the license part?  It seems like this is causing more problems for me.

Nov 15, 2007

4. Jan 26, 2012 1:33 PM (in response to smittman)

Scott,

You should move products you want to license from Discovered to Monitored. Once they are in Monitored you can then add license and assosiate it with that product. You don't have to do things in that order but doing so can save you a couple steps.

Licensing a product group allows you to a license to all the products that are in that group (think creating your own suite)

Licensing by product allows you to have a primary and a secondary product where licenses that are not used for the primary can be used for the secondary. For instane if I had Office 2010 as the primary and Office 2007 for the secondary. Any 2010 license that are not used for 2010 can then help cover 2007 installations.

• smittman Apprentice 53 posts since
    Sep 22, 2008

5. Jan 26, 2012 2:41 PM (in response to Snowman)

Thanks for the quick response.  I have my Product setup to monitor, and now am trying to add a license for that product.  When I Add License from the Licenses tab I am putting in a name, 1)  can this be anything I want?  2) Does the Complaince Type matter?  Is New Product okay for everything I use?  3) When i select Associate Products:Product Group, the only option is New Group, if I enter one it then duplicates this on the Products Tab.  4) If I select Associate Products:One of two products only, is there a way to select more than two?  5) Vendor; when I leave it blank it shows up under Licenses as 'Unknown', but when I enter a Vendor, ie Adobe, it shows this Vendor and the actual vendor from the Product Group.  How should this be done so so as not have duplicates?  If I remove one it removed the other.  Attached is a screenshot.

Attachments:
  • Rookie 15 posts since
    Jan 23, 2012

6. Jan 30, 2012 12:48 AM (in response to smittman)

I create different groeps in the monitored group.

See my other post: http://community.landesk.com/support/message/73087#73087

Nov 15, 2007

7. Jan 30, 2012 7:35 AM (in response to smittman)

Scott M wrote:

1)  can this be anything I want?

Yes.

Scott M wrote:

2) Does the Complaince Type matter?

The only thing that matters is if you choose a Calculated or Non Calculated Complaince Type.

Scott M wrote:

3) When i select Associate Products:Product Group, the only option is New Group, if I enter one it then duplicates this on the Products Tab.

I can't reproduce this behavior. Are you putting in a manufacturer that already exists for your group name?

Scott M wrote:

4) If I select Associate Products:One of two products only, is there a way to select more than two?

Not in SLM. That enhancement has been made to SAM which will be available in the next release later this year.

Scott M wrote:

5) Vendor; when I leave it blank it shows up under Licenses as 'Unknown', but when I enter a Vendor, ie Adobe, it shows this Vendor and the actual vendor from the Product Group.  How should this be done so so as not have duplicates?

Vendor is rarely the same as manufacturer. Vendor should be who you puchase the software from like CDW. In the off chance that they are the same then yes the name will show up twice. Once for manufacturer and once for vendor unless you enter it differently.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software