Skip navigation
2279 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2011 12:37 PM by dustin.winsor RSS
dustin.winsor Rookie 21 posts since
Aug 23, 2011

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 27, 2011 7:02 AM

Network not connecting properly in gateway appliance

I need a little bit of help in configuring our gateway appliance. (It's really my own fault for not testing it better when our consultant was here.) We've got our gateway setup with one nic facing the outside and one nic facing the inside as presrcibed. Our inside network works fine, but you can only connect to it from the outside when you're on the same external subnet, but not any other public internet. The DNS record is setup properly, but when I ping it from my house it times out. When I ping it from the outside but within our public block it works. This made me think that it was an issue with out network setup, however when I assign a laptop that same public ip address as the appliance, I can connect to it from any internet connection. That made me think that it was the firewall, so I tried turning it off and connecting again, but the result was still the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• MarXtar SSMMVPGroup 2,051 posts since
    Jul 2, 2008

Has received 8 of 9 achievements.

Have you tried using the gateway via a client running externally. I don't have a gateway to hand to test, but ping response isn't necessary for operation so it wouldn't surprise me if there was a rule in the built-in firewall not to respond.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

http://www.marxtar.com

The One-Stop Shop for LANDesk Enhancements

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

• David.Duanne@escreen.com Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 11, 2010

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.

Dustin,

When you said, "When I ping it from the outside but within our public block it works.", it got the wheels turning.  I think you have one of the following problems:

Possible issue 1.  The default gateway on the external interface of the gateway is incorrect (that's the easy one).

Possible issue 2.  You have a firewall issue.  Here's why I'm going that way - You said, "When I ping it from the outside but within our public block it works."  If the computers connected to your outside network (public IP space) are all on the same network, then the firewall is not processing rules on those systems.  In other words, if your outside network is 100.100.100.0/24 and all the servers are on the same network, then when 100.100.100.1 pings 100.100.100.2, the firewall doesn't get involved because both IP's are considered to be at the same security level (or the same interface - depending on the brand of firewall).  When traffic from outside the 100.100.100.0/24 network comes in, the router is forced to evaluate that traffic and process both access rules and NAT rules.

Depending on the type of firewall you have, you may need a static NAT exemption for the outside IP address of your LANDesk Gateway Appliance.

Take a look at the NAT rules in your firewall for other servers on your outside interfaces that are accessible from the internet (web servers, for example).  Then, use the firewall settings as a template for the LANDesk Gateway Appliance.

I hope this gives you another lead to follow (or two).

Regards,

David

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software