Skip navigation
2311 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2012 8:17 AM by tom.lauwers RSS
jdonnell Rookie 6 posts since
Jun 3, 2010

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 30, 2012 3:12 PM

Error when going to video properties

When trying to view the video properties I recieve an error.

Invalid Display Settings.  The currently selected graphics display driver can not be used.  It was written for a previous version of Windows, and is no longer compatible with this version of Windows.

I am using Windows XP SP3.

This error will go away if I uninstall the Mirror Driver and will reappear as soon as I load it back.

Attachments:
  • Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 28, 2010

1. Feb 14, 2012 1:37 PM (in response to jdonnell)
    Re: Error when going to video properties

I am also getting that same error.  Anyone have a solution out there?

• Catalysttgj Expert 413 posts since
    Jul 1, 2010

Has received 8 of 9 achievements.
    2. Feb 14, 2012 5:07 PM (in response to jdonnell)

They're supposed to have this fixed in SP3 for LANDesk 9. Are you guys using this? We're only on SP2. We had to roll back the mirror driver files on the core to get away from this. If you do this, you have to reinstall the mirror driver on the clients too.

• Frank Wils SSMMVPGroup 1,212 posts since
    Feb 25, 2008

3. Feb 15, 2012 2:36 AM (in response to Catalysttgj)

Also note that if you use SP3, you have to reinstall the full agent. Just running the SP3 update will NOT update your mirrordriver.

On the other hand, you can also try RC without Mirrordriver to remove all worries. On most networks RC performs just as good without it.

Frank

Axle-IT

• MarXtar SSMMVPGroup 2,050 posts since
    Jul 2, 2008

4. Feb 15, 2012 2:47 AM (in response to Frank Wils)

I agree with Frank here. Without the mirror driver, things are a little bit slower but to be honest most people don't seem to care. Seems like the reason for the mirror driver's existence isn't really there anymore. Wouldn't surprise me if it gets dropped at some point since disabling it seems to be the default action if there are any compatibility issues anyway.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

http://landesk.marxtar.co.uk

LANDesk Silver ESP

Join us on the 23rd Feb for our UK LANDesk Mobility Seminar (Smart, Laptop & Data) - Food & Fun too!

The One-Stop Shop for LANDesk Enhancements

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

Jul 1, 2010

5. Feb 15, 2012 7:03 AM (in response to MarXtar)

On the matter of mirror driver installation... We were able to remove the mirror driver and reinstall an old one without installing an entire agent. We were also able to reinstall a newer driver afterwards. The error would go away after the downgrade, and obviously return going forward to the newer version. It only did ths aftera couple of reboots, as the removal/installation process produces a delayed copy. I see no reason why the same wont be true for a corrected mirror driver in SP3. I don't buy the line that the entire agent has to be installed to get anupdated mirror driver. There may or may not be a client patch to take an agent up to SP3, and that alone by be the only reason to have to completely reinstall an agent, but it shouldn't be the mirror driver, as it has its own setupmirror.exe installer app.

We'll be testing this in the near future.

• Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 16, 2012

6. Feb 16, 2012 8:27 AM (in response to Catalysttgj)

Hi Catalysttgj

Can you please write how you were able to unistall the new Mirror driver and reinstall back the old Mirror driver

Without reinstalling the entire agent ?

What files / commands you used ?

Thanks ,.

Feb 25, 2008

7. Feb 16, 2012 8:43 AM (in response to vipersvcd)

Hi!

Look here:

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-5914#comment-3870

All you need is a setupmirror.exe from an older source/SP.

Frank

Axle-IT

• Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 16, 2012

8. Feb 16, 2012 9:13 AM (in response to Frank Wils)

Hi

Can I run the setupmirror.exe as a stand alone exe files ?

Or do they have to be run form a full "LDClient" folder / Path ?

So just to make sure I got it right :

I first run the problematic  "setupmirror.exe -u -v" , then should I reboot or go a head and run older setupmirror.exe ?

If I reboot wont it just reinstall back the new driver ?

Feb 25, 2008

9. Feb 16, 2012 9:28 AM (in response to vipersvcd)

Can I run the setupmirror.exe as a stand alone exe files ?

Yes

Or do they have to be run form a full "LDClient" folder / Path ?

No

I first run the problematic  "setupmirror.exe -u -v" , then should I reboot or go a head and run older setupmirror.exe ?

You should test this in your situation but I would advise you to reboot

If I reboot wont it just reinstall back the new driver ?

No

Frank

Jul 1, 2010

10. Feb 16, 2012 9:32 AM (in response to vipersvcd)

So what we did is...

0.) you need to obtain the proper file set for the mirror driver as required for step 1. We used the original files from the LANDesk sp2 installer. We replace these files in our core, so that when we recreated a self contained agent installation it would have these files naturally, instead of the newer driver.

1.) copy the following files over the newer existing files in the agent folder. (typically here on XP: C:\Program files\LANDesk\ldclient)

ldblank.sys

ldmirror.cat

ldmirror.dll

ldmirror.inf

ldmirror.sys

mirrorflt.sys

setupmirror.exe

2.) Next, you'll execute setupmirror.exe with the -u parameter. This will tell the OS to remove the current driver, however it will not actually remove it until a reboot.

3.) Next, you'll execute setupmirror.exe with no parameters, and this will tell the OS that you want to install the driver, but this will not be completed, until two reboots!

4.) Reboot, and wait a bit. (You need to give it long enough to allow the installation of the mirror driver. If you rebooted too fast for the second time it might not get it done.)

5.) Reboot again.

6.) Go test the Display properties to see that your error is now gone.

This has worked thousands of times for us. We are only running XP however, so maybe this won't work as nicely on 7 or vista, but for us this has been great.

We put all this in a batch file, and it worked out great. Now, the way that we deployed it is with a custom definition patch. That is a fun animal to create, because you have to get pretty tricky with how to remove a driver that is newer than an older driver that you want to install. We had to have to rules in a definition, and basically, we faked an upgrade for the newer driver, and just ran the setupmirror.exe -u command only. After that, we reboot, then the second rule in the custom def detects that the driver is missing, and it naturally wants to then run the patch again at which point we execute the whole series of steps to replace the files and then install using setupmirror.exe. The trick is that you only want the two rules to detect at specific times. You could probably just create two separate defs instead, but we were able to get all in one. Let me know if you want any more on that. You should manually test the above stuff though first to make sure it will work for you.

• JSMCPN Expert 256 posts since
    Jan 17, 2008

Has received 5 of 9 achievements.
    11. Feb 27, 2012 4:20 PM (in response to Catalysttgj)

On WinXP, I am also seeing this on clean SP3 Agents.  Core was built from scratch with SP3 installed before creating any Agents, and no affected Agents in this environment were upgraded from SP2.

Catalystjj - so are you saying on SP3 agents, using the SP2 mirror driver definitely fixes the problem?  I am on a deployment right now and now is definitely the time to decide whether to use Mirror Driver or not.  If the SP2 driver works, I think we'll be fine, but if not then we'll have to disable it in the Agents now, and remove it from all Agents already deployed.

Jul 1, 2010

12. Feb 27, 2012 10:16 PM (in response to JSMCPN)

We have only worked with SP2 so far. We started experiencing the problems with the mirror driver after installing various patches after SP2. We had to roll back to the original SP2 mirror driver in order to get rid of the errors. We have finally upgraded our production server, and now our old server is being prepared for the SP3 upgrade for a test environment. This will likely take place next week some time. Once, we've upgraded the old server we'll start working with SP3, and testing the various methods of upgrading the agents to SP3 level.

On the matter of whether you can roll back an SP3 agent to use an SP2 mirror driver.. I would think it would work fine, but who knows until you try!

You'll probably beat us to it, but if not, we'll let you know what we learn.

Good luck!

• tom.lauwers SupportEmployee 11 posts since
    Feb 29, 2012

13. Jul 1, 2012 8:17 AM (in response to jdonnell)

Hi,

For the issue with the "Invalid Display Settings" error, can you do the following test?

If you installed the SP2 mirror driver with the SP3 agent, uninstall these first before doing the test below.

1) Make a test-copy of your agent configuration.

2) Right-click the agent configuration and select “Advance Edit”.

3) In the config file that appears, search for the section that starts with:

;**** Begin of Remote Control component ****

4) At the end of the section , add the following lines:

REG10000=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001\Settings\MirrorDriver, 1, , REG_DWORD

REG10001=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001\Settings\VgaCompatible, 0, , REG_DWORD

REG10002=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001\Settings\Attach.ToDesktop, 1, , REG_DWORD

REG10003=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001\Settings\InstalledDisplayDrivers, ldmirror, , MULTI_SZ

5) Save the configuration

6) Right click the agent config and deploy to a client that has the issue

If this resolves the problem, please open a support case and refer to TFS 30916.

Regards,

Tom

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software