1335 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2012 9:35 AM by ahe RSS
Rookie 4 posts since
Feb 23, 2012

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 13, 2012 1:14 AM

Problem on distribution after update from 8.7 to 9.0

Hello to everibody

i'm new to Landesk 9.0, previously we have LDMS8.7 and i usually deploy Office 2010 with a Batch like this:

@echo off
tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq outlook.exe" 2>NUL | find /I /N "outlook.exe">NUL
if "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" taskkill /IM outlook.exe
msg * Ora procedo con l'aggiornamento di Outlook !
net use k: \\dia-pat01\landesk_packages
k:
cd off2010std
setup.exe /adminfile packages\myoutlook.msp
c:
net use k: /delete

so i close Outlook (in this case) if it's open and the i start installation from a network share. in old ldms8.7 i start the batch and after 3 or 4 seconds the install of Office 2010 start showing the user interface with settings contained in my msp file (so the only interaction with the user is showing the UI and progress bar only.

in this new version i see only the message "Ora procedo con l'aggiornamento di Outlook !", the network map is created and then "the darkness", the app run and run and run again.

i try to launch on a batch file and the task is completed in some minutes requesting no input from user.

why with old LDMS this task runs correctly and with the new version not ? and again : how is the best practice to install Office 2010 with transform files ?

PS deploying MSI file is much better than with the older version and runs without problems.

Roberto

• Employee 213 posts since
    Dec 12, 2007

Has received 6 of 9 achievements.

Hello,

you may try to have a look to this article that talks about Office 2007: may give you some ideas about 2010 as well:

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2126

Remember that when you distribute something with LANDesk, except  in some specific circumstances , the process is LOCALSYSTEM so please always avoid to sue a script that  maps network drives directly and launches application in shared drivers.

This is a wrong way to do deployments for at least two good reasons:

1. when you distribute something with LANDesk, except in some specific circumstances , the process is LOCALSYSTEM so LocalSystem may have problems/issues to map network drives.
    2. Invoking programs from shared drives or copying (for example copy z:\*.*  c:\mystuff ) bypasses every kind of bandwidth management, peer distribution and file recovery that are the characteristics more appreciated by our customers. When you distribute files through LANDesk the network usage for the file transfer is optimnized and controlled by LANDesk in many ways, if you do something like copy z:\*.* c:\mystuff the ''ball'' is entirely in the hands of the OS and no more in our hands.

Kind regards,

StockTrader - Marco.

Dec 12, 2007

Hello roberto,

about the slowness you may try to import the delivery method I attached to this message if you have LD9 SP3 and distrubute a package using it.

If you are not in SP3 yet (I strongly suggest you to plan the installation of it and update all the agents to SP3 as well) you can create a push delivery method with the following charateristics:

1.PNG

2.PNG

Another note on what may cause the slowness:

When you use LANDESK to distribute software and you create, for example, a package with a lot of additional files and/or huge files (like Office) you can notice that the first time the deploy can be slow.

This is due to the fact that there is a process on the core server that needs to read every single file and create an MD5 hash of it.

Once the hash has been calculated for all the files every subsequent distribution task associated to the same package will be fast.

The hashing guarantees that if a file of the package has been changed (corrupted or maliciously injected with a virus) the file will not be distributed and the job will fail.

A script with a copy from a share can not check that every single file is what you are really expecting: so in case of maliciously modified files and/or corrupted files the files will be distributed.

Another good point about using a real distribution package instead of using a script is realibility: if only a part of the file is copied and than you a have a network failure the next time the file will be resumed and the transfer will progress.

Kind regards,

Marco - StockTrader

Attachments:
    Dec 12, 2007

Hello,

I do not know if classrooms are available in Italy.

You may try to contact Elena Bartoli <Elena.Bartoli@landesk.com>. She will tell you more about training options and costs.

We have some E-Learining material that should be free of use (if I recall correctly): http://community.landesk.com/support/community/training

Kind regards,

Marco S. Zuppone

• ahe Expert 862 posts since
    Dec 21, 2007

Has received 4 of 9 achievements.

If you create a package which need user interaction, you've to choose below "Feedback and timing" in "Package Progress UI" the parameter "Display progress to user", otherwise the user won't see anything... and the package run and run and run...

The cause is, the package run in Local System context and not in user context, but there is no open desktop for Local System...

If you test your package as local admin it will work, because you've a desktop. If you start your package in the way described in the following links it will work too, because it is started FROM a running desktop (mmh, not checked, what's happen, if I kill explorer.exe before...).

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-24268

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2316#comment-15129

Regards

Axel

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software