Skip navigation
3349 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2012 4:27 PM by Jonathan Barker RSS
domowimi Apprentice 78 posts since
Mar 10, 2011

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 21, 2012 1:56 PM

Image File too large

I just updated one of my images and when I try to bring it down on an older model, I get the error that there is not enough space. The TBI file itself only grew about 1 GB in size so why all of a sudden it doesn't work is beyond me. We have never had issues with this in the past and really would like to know what can be done to fix this.

I have even tried to do a manual image and selecting the option to scale to fit and I still get the same error message.

Does LANDesk capture unused space on the HDD when creating an image? That makes no sense to me for it to do that.

We were told to use a tool such as Partition Magic to reduce the size of our partition before we image it up, but wouldn't that be stamped on the new pc that we image? Therefore leaving unallocated disk space?

Please help!

Mike D

• Brendan440 Apprentice 112 posts since
    Aug 28, 2008

Has received 2 of 9 achievements.
    1. Mar 21, 2012 3:22 PM (in response to domowimi)
    Re: Image File too large

Mike,

What I do is use Partition Magic before I image to shrink my partition down to 40 or so gigs or when I first install Windows, you can control the size of the partition you create. Then do all my work, and capture the image. When you push the image back, part of the LANDesk procedure is to expand the parition to full disk size. So your 40 gigi partition, when pushed back onto a machine should be the full 250G or whatever your HDD size is.

Brendan

• Brendan440 Apprentice 112 posts since
    Aug 28, 2008

Has received 2 of 9 achievements.
    3. Mar 22, 2012 6:25 AM (in response to domowimi)

Mike,

I just use the OSD, not the provisioning templates and I have never had to do anything manually, its just part of the end of the OSD process.

Brendan

• eric christensen SupportEmployee 197 posts since
    Jul 14, 2011

Has received 5 of 9 achievements.
    5. Mar 22, 2012 8:59 AM (in response to domowimi)

If the OS installed on the device you are capturing is Vista or higher you can use diskpart that is included with windows. Just use the diskpart shrink command instead of having to install or use partition magic. In windows XP the diskpart shrink option is not available.

As Brenden noted, by default OSD will expand the final partition to fill the drive. If you are using provisioning you will need to add a partition action to the provisioning template. Under that partition action select expand partition and set the drive and partition you want to expand. You can also set the size of the partition. If you want it to use the remaining space, leave the space option blank.

• eric christensen SupportEmployee 197 posts since
    Jul 14, 2011

Has received 5 of 9 achievements.
    7. Mar 22, 2012 11:20 AM (in response to domowimi)

It can be in the OS installation or Post-OS installation section. The action just needs to occur after the image has been deployed to the device. Otherwise the partition wouldn't exist to expand.

• Sundiata Kita-Bradshaw Apprentice 132 posts since
    Mar 22, 2010

Has received 3 of 9 achievements.
    9. Mar 29, 2012 10:51 AM (in response to domowimi)

We started OS Deployment via Provisioning (Windows 7)using a template someone provided on one of the main OS documents here on the community. After the OS deploys there are a few files that download and run in the Post-OS section of the template. These files fix the boot issues (BCDEdit, etc). I have attached an example of a template

Attachments:
  • Jonathan Barker Apprentice 27 posts since
    Apr 13, 2012

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
    11. Apr 13, 2012 4:27 PM (in response to domowimi)

This is likely due to how the terabyte image application works, it doesn't look at files, it looks at sectors.  Other apps like ghost, rdeploy, etc creates images based on files.  i suspect sector-based imaging is faster but you have limitations such as you can't image a larger partition onto a smaller partition without some cleanup.

Do this:

Boot your machine.  Run defrag against all volumes, then run a free space consolidation defrag.  This will move all the files it can to the front of the drive, and whitespace to the back.  defrag can't move files that are in use such as pagefile and many system files.  These are typically at the front of the drive anyways.

optional, use sdelete to zero out the whitespace

boot into WinPE menu.  open a console, then use diskpart to select the volume in question, then shrink the volume.  This crops the volume as small as possible.  If you're lucky this will be smaller than the smallest drive you want to deploy to.  If you're not lucky then you need to use an alternative defragmentation application and sdelete.  In windows 7 the commands for diskpart will be:

diskpart

select disk 0

select volume d (note: volume c is the hidden 100mb boot partition)

shrink

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software