Skip navigation
280 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2012 7:36 AM by MarXtar RSS
jpozucek Apprentice 79 posts since
Sep 25, 2008

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
Currently Being Moderated

May 15, 2012 6:27 AM

Best Method for Multi-package Distribution

I want to create a distribution package that consists of several dsitribution packages so I can create a task to install all of them at once.

What is the best way to do this?  Do I use dependant packages and just create an empty base batch file that returns an error code?  Use Additional files? A batch file that calls several MSI's?

Any suggestions welcome.

Jim

• Apprentice 57 posts since
    Jul 9, 2010

Has received 3 of 9 achievements.
    1. May 15, 2012 7:18 AM (in response to jpozucek)
    Re: Best Method for Multi-package Distribution

You can create a software template that houses multiple software packages.  Do you already have these packages built with in LDMS?  Below is a screen grab of my software template: (this needs to be created under OSD).  You can then schedule this template for machines in LDMS, I use this method for provisioning in case an action fails I don't have to re-run the entire provisioning process again.  I can schedule the template and distribute the software, it can also be beneficial in troubleshooting if you are getting a persistent piece of software that's failing.  If you need help I can try and assist you.

SoftwareTempGrab.PNG

• MarXtar SSMMVPGroup 2,050 posts since
    Jul 2, 2008

Has received 8 of 9 achievements.
    2. May 15, 2012 7:36 AM (in response to jpozucek)
    Re: Best Method for Multi-package Distribution

If this is part of preparing a new system then I think the provisioning template as mentioned is a good one. Not so great in live systems as it presents an interface to show provisioning is going on.

Batch files are great as long as you don't have any complex conditions to decide whether to install  one of the packages or not.

If you really need to detect what the condition of the machine is before installing, then you are best working with dependent packages and making certain that the detection rules you set are solid.

Don't forget though that a standard scheduled task lets you specify three packages so in some cases that might be enough for you.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

http://landesk.marxtar.co.uk

LANDesk Silver ESP

The One-Stop Shop for LANDesk Enhancements

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

- State Notifier - Real-Time Device & User State Inventory Updating & Alerting

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software