6818 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2009 8:13 AM by phoffmann RSS
Rookie 2 posts since
Jul 21, 2009

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 21, 2009 10:28 AM

Email alert when user is added to Local Admin Group

Greetings All!

I was wondering if you could help me out.  As the title states, we are looking to send out an email alert anytime a user is added to the local Adminstrators group on a workstation.  Can anybody help me out with how I would set this up in the Alerts portion of LANDesk?

FYI, we are using 8.8 SP3.

Kindly,

Mercury

• sriley SupportEmployee 74 posts since
    Dec 12, 2007

Has received 3 of 9 achievements.
    1. Jul 21, 2009 10:36 AM (in response to Mercury)
    Re: Email alert when user is added to Local Admin Group

I would view this video. Fantastic video that will teach you everything you need to do to become a Alerting Guru:

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-5674

• sriley SupportEmployee 74 posts since
    Dec 12, 2007

Has received 3 of 9 achievements.
    2. Jul 21, 2009 11:23 AM (in response to Mercury)

Mercury,

That video will help you become a guru, but what you are trying to do unfortunately does not work. We have found that when an account is added to a local group it us usually a domain account. When the inventory scanner runs it runs as local system and can only gather local account information, but not the domain account information. If were have alerting setup the alert change would not appear in this case.

So for example if you add a domain account Jon Doe to the local administrators group and then ran a full inventory scan the inventory does not show any domain users/groups added to the local administrators group because the information gathered is only for local users and groups.

• Rookie 9 posts since
    Jul 23, 2008

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
    4. Jul 22, 2009 7:03 AM (in response to sriley)

I wonder if it would notice domain users when combined with Jack Coates' ldms_client inventory extender (www.droppedpackets.org)?

hmmm....

• phoffmann SupportEmployee 2,643 posts since
    Dec 11, 2007

Has received 7 of 9 achievements.

You could probably cook something up via tracking inventory history and either something like Jack Coates' tool or just a simple VBScript that reads out the local users of the groups you want to keep track off, and sends this info through to the Core as custom data.

Since you can track inventory history on nearly anything, that should do the trick for you (since the addition of a person would add a change to the data, which would trigger inventory history if you're tracking it).

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software