Skip navigation
1 2 Previous Next 10954 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2010 6:21 PM by johnmares RSS
Rookie 1 posts since
Feb 18, 2010

Has received 1 of 9 achievements.
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 18, 2010 2:40 PM

Issues w/ Core Server 9.0 Install in Hyper-V

Hi there,

I'm attempting to install the Core Server on a Server 2008 R2 Virtual Machine that has been created within the Hyper-V Role. The virtual machine currently passes all prerequisite checks and when installing it reaches roughly 60% progress and errors out when it reaches the OS Virtualization provider setup step. When it reaches this step we get an error through Windows stating that virt_esx_manage has encountered an error and must close causing the core server install to fail.

Are there any work arounds to this? My team and I have been searching the past hour for any information on virt_esx_manage for the past hour and so far it has been fruitless. We're currently not planning on using ESX within our setup in the near future. Thanks.

Attachments:
  • phoffmann SupportEmployee 2,643 posts since
    Dec 11, 2007

Has received 7 of 9 achievements.
    1. Feb 19, 2010 3:17 AM (in response to Cody_B)
    Re: Issues w/ Core Server 9.0 Install in Hyper-V

Not got any experience in installing a Core on Hyper-V - truth be told, you'd probably have a best chance of success talking to Microsoft's Hyper-V support folks about this one.

I'm a bit surprised at this being a problem - I can see virtualisation stuff having problems potentially if you do fancy stuff with graphics (i.e. DirectX / DirectDraw stuff), but the LDMS installer is a fairly straight forward "Write files, write registry keys, register thism that and the other and LOTS of DB related I/O" ... nothing really fancy per se.

I know of a customer who uses Hyper-V to host clients for LDMS ... that works - but their LDMS is on ESX i ... which you may want to give a try (it being free) - http://www.vmware.com/products/esxi/ - that's worked fine so far.

That at least seems the other alternative to calling Microsoft Support on this as far as I see.

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• Rookie 16 posts since
    Feb 26, 2008

2. Feb 26, 2010 8:48 AM (in response to phoffmann)

Paul, we are on ESXi and are getting the same exact error.  Any other thoughts as to what is causing this problem?

• Apprentice 74 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007

3. Feb 26, 2010 9:00 AM (in response to Cody_B)

I had no issue (at all) installing on a VM that's residing on an ESXi 4 host, using Windows Server 2003 for the OS of the VM that is the core server. I also have the SQL database on another virtual server (same host).

It almost, to me, sounds like an issue with Server 2008 R2. Especially if it's also an issue on a second, completely different, company.

• Rookie 16 posts since
    Feb 26, 2008

4. Feb 26, 2010 9:47 AM (in response to Golddiggie)

I am leaning that direction as well.  We were using a template for 2008 R2 as the base when we got this error.  The DB is hosted on a separate SQL Server (also virtualized).  So we are going to try and start fresh with a new R2 install this time.  I have also installed it in a couple other VMWare vSphere 4 environments and haven't had any issues.

• Jared Barneck SupportEmployee 1,189 posts since
    Nov 19, 2007

Has received 5 of 9 achievements.
    5. Feb 26, 2010 10:04 AM (in response to jemonty)

So did you use the 2008 R2 version with or without Hyper-V?

Dec 11, 2007

6. Mar 1, 2010 5:55 AM (in response to jemonty)

I've personally only have ever had bad experiences with templates/images for LDMS Cores. They may work for other folks, but I've been burned so many times with them that my personal recommendation would be against them and to use - for Cores at least - a clean build.

That's never failed for to work for me at least .

- Paul Hoffmann

• Apprentice 74 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007

7. Mar 1, 2010 7:36 AM (in response to phoffmann)

I've been using templates to create servers on ESXi 3.5 and 4. I used the templates to build both my previous LDMS 8.8 core and current LDMS 9 core servers. No issues using either one. Using templates via VMware ESX/ESXi is a huge time saver when it comes to building servers. It reduces the process to 10-20 minutes, automating it. That's instead of the hours it would normally take to get the server to the same starting point. Of course, you need to build your template server correctly in order for it to work properly. Prior to LDMS 9, I only had .NET 2.0 installed on the template, with IIS not installed since Windows servers get cranky when you install IIS and then rename them.

If you have plenty of spare/idle time and like doing things the hard way, don't use templates. Or if you don't build all that many servers in your role (less then one a week on average). If you do deploy more servers, or have little idle time to baby-sit the installs while you create the server, use templates. Personally, I can't imagine NOT using them.

• Rookie 16 posts since
    Feb 26, 2008

8. Mar 1, 2010 11:51 AM (in response to Golddiggie)

So after rebuilding our VM with a clean install of Windows 2008 R2, the Landesk 9.0 install ran smoothly.  I would not say this was so much an issue with using templates or not, it was more of an issue with the specific template I used.  It apparently had been previously hardened by a co-worker, which I am guessing could have caused us issues with the Landesk install (I am not sure what was done to the image prior to my use).  Anyway, I would agree with the previous post that images save a ton of time and is one of the extremely powerful features of VMware.  Thanks everyone for the comments.  They were helpful in diagnosing the problem.

• Employee 18 posts since
    Sep 17, 2009

9. Oct 6, 2010 12:22 PM (in response to Cody_B)

I had this issue once and it was because I had changed the CoreServer key in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LANDesk\ManagementSuite to a FQDN.  Once I removed the domain tag so it was just the computer name, rerunning setup continued the install and this action succeeded.  It was my bad why I was in this state, but I recommend checking this key and ensuring it references your core server properly without using FQDN, and that it resolves when you ping it.

• Rookie 12 posts since
    Sep 12, 2008

10. Nov 2, 2010 3:49 PM (in response to glarson)

I am testing the install and having the same "virt_esx_manage" error.  I have a fresh copy of 2008 R2 installed, joined to a domain.  The installation continues until the "OS virtualization provider setup. I then receive the "virt_esx_manage has stopped working" error.  When I close the error and look into the log, this is all thats in the log: "11/02/2010 13:30:45 INFO  3676:1     RollingLog : Virt_ESX_Manage.exe"

I am using vmware workstation to host the 2008 R2 operating system.  I wish I knew if it was a problem with my O.S. build but since others had a problem with hyper-v, I wonder if  its a problem with most virtualization environments.  My preferred method for initial testing is a virtual environment so I hope there is an answer out there somewhere.

UPDATE: I had FIPS enabled.  Once I changed this setting to "disabled" I was able to continue.

Dec 11, 2007

11. Nov 3, 2010 3:16 AM (in response to johnmares)

That's interesting ... odd, since we've got a whole plethora of labs in support that use VMWare or other virtualisation methods and that works fine there. In my case, I've got 2008 R2 running quite happily on VMWare Workstation with LD 9.0.

I see two possible things to try here:

1 - If you haven't already, try using the new 9.0 with SP2 included installer for 9.0 (a slip-streamed version) that you can get ahold of if you contact support, if need be.

2 - Open a ticket with support and provide us your VMWare ... maybe we can figure out what's going wrong with it on our side?

Hope this helps.

- Paul Hoffmann

• Rookie 12 posts since
    Sep 12, 2008

12. Nov 30, 2010 5:04 PM (in response to phoffmann)

This seems to be a continuing problem for me.  Installation fails on the "OS Virtualization Provider Setup" phase on two additional core server installs. These are fresh installed 2008 R2 non-virtual.  This is not an upgrade, it is the full slipstreamed 9.0 sp2 installer.  FIPS is disabled.  The installer passes all prerequisites. Here are the last few lines from my PostSetupConfig.exe.log file:

11/30/2010_11:50 AM     INFORMATION:     Notifying ProcessBegin: prov_InstallPlugin.exe
    11/30/2010_11:50 AM     INFORMATION:     Completed postsetupconfig entry: ProvInstallPlugin
    11/30/2010_11:50 AM     INFORMATION:     Executing: C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\Virt_Esx_Manage.exe /genkey=ESX
    11/30/2010_11:50 AM     INFORMATION:     Notifying ProcessBegin: Virt_Esx_Manage.exe
    11/30/2010_11:50 AM     ERROR      :     Failure executing C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\Virt_Esx_Manage.exe /genkey=ESX Return Value: -532459699
    11/30/2010_11:50 AM     ERROR      :     Failed running command - C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\Virt_Esx_Manage.exe /genkey=ESX
    11/30/2010_11:50 AM     INFORMATION:     Writing error token to SOFTWARE\LANDesk\LANDeskSoftware\Setup\PostSetupConfig
    11/30/2010_11:50 AM     ERROR      :     Application Complete Failed - Running PostSetupConfig.exe

So, I have two core servers where it failed to install correctly but I have two that have installed correctly. 

• Employee 18 posts since
    Sep 17, 2009

13. Dec 1, 2010 8:50 AM (in response to johnmares)

Are there any unique characters in the computer name?  Does the CoreServer key in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LANDesk\ManagementSuite use a fully qualified name or the short name?  These are just guesses based of things that could also give you an error.  If this execution isn't critical for you and this is just a test environment, you may consider faking the install out to skip this step.

• Rookie 12 posts since
    Sep 12, 2008

14. Dec 1, 2010 9:11 AM (in response to glarson)

There are no special characters in the hostname.  The CoreServer value is not fully qualified but I have appended the domain suffix with no change to the install behavior.  Also, the path that I have is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\LANDesk\ManagementSuite

but not:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LANDesk\ManagementSuite

I hate to say it but these are going to be our production core servers.  I have been trying everything I know to get these installed.  I appreciate your help.  I welcome any other suggestions you have.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 20 points
  • Helpful Answers - 10 points
LANDESK Community powered by Jive SBS® 4.5.7.1  |  Legal Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Icon 

TweeterOn Twitter  |  Icon FacebookOn Facebook © 2007 LANDESK Software