This procedure can be used to set up a web repository with anonymous access for software distribution using IIS 7
- Start -> Administrative tools -> Internet Information services(IIS) Manager
- Server name -> sites , then right click the "Default Web Site" -> "Add virtual directory" and fill in the name and the path to the directory to be shared
- After the virtual directory appears under the Default web site three , rigth click on it -> edit permissions -> Security -> edit
- Add: the local IUSR , ANONYMOUS LOGON and NETWORK SERVICES they need at least READ and DIRECTORY LISTING rights
- Switch to feature view , in the central pane select "directory browsing" and "enable" under the action pane on the right ( Be sure your newly created virtual directory is highlighted )
- In Features View, double-click Authentication -> On the Authentication page, select Anonymous Authentication.
- In the Actions pane, click Edit to set the security principal under which anonymous users will connect to the site.
- In the Edit Anonymous Authentication Credentials dialog box, select one of the following options:
- Specific user, ( IUSR )
- Application pool identity, if you want IIS processes to run by using the account that is currently specified on the property page for the application pool. By default, this is the Network Service account.
(Important) If you use the Network Service account, you grant anonymous users all the internal network access associated with that account.
Note: DO NOT convert the Virtual folder to an application folder