3rd attempt to post INFs.
Thanks for the help. I'm sure this will all get resolved eventually. It's just crunchtime right now.
Oh and Mach6, I'm going to build an auto-responder and flood your inbox with replies.
We just did the Sp3 upgrade and are also feeling the pain with Win XP images, drivers just not being pulled down or the wrong drivers. I can understand the move for simplicity in driver management as the previous model was alot of work to manage, but as others have said it worked and worked "well" for what it was. I am now tasked with possibly finding an alternative solution or moving back to flat file images and we have to move quickly as imaging capabilities are critical for our company. Hopefully LANDesk can do something quickly to address this issue.
I've been able to get our environment steady again. I worked with Support to resolve my issue with XP images not loading drivers correctly. It has to do with how the drivers.db3 database (\\core\ldmain\landesk\files\drivers) puts in the path to the correct driver. I still have some complaints/issues on which driver is being installed, but it's working.
If you need to get back up and running with this system, I'm happy to help. Unless you've already contacted support for the XP DB3 file fix, it's actually fairly simple. It just needs to be done every time you add/remove drivers from your driver repository. By default, ours is still the path above where they used to be saved under the SP2 environment.
The fix I received from support to resolve XP images not receiving drivers properly. Windows 7 images use DSIM to enumerate drivers so there's less chance of an issue occuring:
1. Make sure all your drivers are in your HII Driver Repository and you've clicked "Save" in your console to scan the folder
2. Download and install SQLite browser http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser/
3. Make a copy of your drivers.db3 file (just in case, again it's in \\core\ldmain\landesk\files\drivers)
4. From SQLite browser File > Open Database. Open the DB3 file.
5. Paste the following in the "Execute SQL" tab
update inffiles set
FilePath = replace(FilePath, '/', '\')
where FilePath like '%/%'
6. Save the DB3 file back to the \\core\ldmain\landesk\files\drivers folder
What this does is adjust the paths to the driver locations. They have forward slashes when they should have backslashes. YOU WILL HAVE TO DO THIS EVERY TIME YOU CLICK THE SAVE BUTTON IN THE "MANAGE HII DRIVER LIBRARY" WINDOW. I'm sure LANDesk will provide a fix for this eventually, but you can use this for now to get back up and running.
You'll also need to be sure your new WinPE image has all Windows 7 compatible drivers now that the kernel is based on Windows 7 (the SP2 version was based on Vista). Sorry if any of this stuff is too basic, but I never assume someone knows how all this works.
Once I got the XP fix from LD, I only had to adjust my scripts slightly now that HIIClient.exe doesn't require the additional switches. You may simply be able to modify that line item of your script to look more like this:
REMEXEC45=ldrun /qt HIIClient /uncpath
Let me know if you need any more help. Making this change should get you back up and running while you sort everything out.
So I am actually in process today of reverting back to Sp1 and then updating to SP2 with the latest monthly component patches as that much work on the manual configuration side given the amount of images and image revisions we do just isn't workable.
If you've already started reverting back I suppose it's too late, but there shouldn't be anything you need to do to your images. To get your XP driver library working again you'd need to follow the steps above one time, unless you needed to add additional drivers. I've grown used to it and it only takes about 3 minutes to fix the DB3 file. You may not need to adjust your OSD/Provisioning scripts for the HIIClient switches, but I've drastically reduced the number of scripts we use (down to only 2 in our environment from over 30 a few years ago) so I only had to modify 2 scripts.
Whichever way you go, good luck.
"What this does is adjust the paths to the driver locations. They have forward slashes when they should have backslashes. YOU WILL HAVE TO DO THIS EVERY TIME YOU CLICK THE SAVE BUTTON IN THE "MANAGE HII DRIVER LIBRARY" WINDOW. I'm sure LANDesk will provide a fix for this eventually, but you can use this for now to get back up and running."
Silvercoupe (or anyone), do you know of any patches or hotfixes for this? We are currently using the script too.
"Once I got the XP fix from LD, I only had to adjust my scripts slightly now that HIIClient.exe doesn't require the additional switches. You may simply be able to modify that line item of your script to look more like this:
REMEXEC45=ldrun /qt HIIClient /uncpath"
What XP fix from LD are you referring to, just to run the script?
Thanks for posting.
Besides using SQLite and the provided SQL from LANDesk (everything from above) I do not know of any hotifx that addresses the backslash issue. It was a headache to get worked out, but since our model library is pretty static right now I haven't had to update our driver library in a while. So yes, modifying the DB3 file with the script and SQLite browser IS the fix as far as I know.
The most recent hotfix (released late April or early May I believe) has the fix for this. If you would like the patch you can contact support, but as with all hotfixes I would verify that the benefit of applying the hotfix is worth the risk of installing something new. If things are working well enough I would wait for a service pack, but if this is causing undue difficulty then I would highly recommend looking into the hotfix.