To answer the first question, you may want to check the exact name of the attribute that is being used on that assignment window. There is also a chance that you will need to pull "Current Assignment\User\Title" in your query. This should go into the user account for Current Assignment and actually pull the Analysts names. If you could attach a screen shot of the query you are using that would help.
To answer the first, to do an "Assign to Me" action, go into Process Manager and select the Properties shortcut (looks like 3 green circles together". Find Request Management and expand it out. Expand the "Actions" folder. Right click on that folder and select New Action. In your Title, enter "Assign to Me" and click Save.
Now open your process and drag over an Action Instance (the blue rectangle) onto your workflow. Right after that, drag an Assignment item onto the window. Right click on the "Analyst" box and choose "Value Type" then place a dot in the radio button next to "Specify a macro value for control". Now in the dropdown list you should have $CurrentUser$. Select that and save it.
Now what will happen is when you select "Assign to Me", it'll automatically assign to ticket to the user who click that actions. Now just connect everything within your flow and you will be all set. It has to be connected from a status.
Hope this helps. If you need more screenshots, just let me know.
Thanks for responding and for being so descriptive.
I looked at the Assignment window in Request Management and here's what's there:
I tried using the Current Assignment\User\Title but that came back as blank also.
As for the Assign to Me action, I'm working on that. This looks like exactly what I was looking for but I'm having some problems with my process so I can't actually test it yet. What does a red x on a process mean? Presumably there's something wrong with it, but is there some way to see what's wrong?
Actually, nevermind the red x problem. I had a bunch of orphaned actions.
I found that when I use the new Assign to Me action that the Currently assigned Analyst works in the Open Requests query, but if I just Add Assignment it's blank.
Bah! I found the problem. I had an Add Assignment Action, which then went to an Assignment. So I was puting an Analyst in during the Add Assignment, then the Assignment step was overwriting it with blank.
Based on that screenshot, it looks like you will just want to use User/Title. Since the attribute is not named "Current Assignment", you should be able to accurately pull User/Title to get the information you will need. Then you can just have your column header say "Current Assignment".
Hope this helps as far as that goes.