9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2012 9:45 AM by hhmis RSS

    Search results being returned as "Null"

    hhmis Apprentice

      We have created two ordered lists to use in our request module (Request Type and Employment Status). The process is setup to do access request. We would like to have these display in the search results whenever we search for the person we are giving access to.

       

      For example: Searching  for Jim Miller....In the reuslts we would like to see what was chosen for request type and employment status for Jim Miller. Currently they are showing as "Null". Thanks in advance.

       

      Knowledge_Results.JPG

        • 1. Re: Search results being returned as "Null"
          karenpeacock Employee

          Hi

           

          It looks as if you've added these into your search results layout but without building the information stored in them into your knowledge index.  You can add them into your knowledge index by going into Object Designer and setting the attribute properties to IsNaturalLanguage (more details in the manuals if you need them.)  Then after a rebuild hopefully all should work.

           

          Best wishes

          Karen

          • 2. Re: Search results being returned as "Null"
            hhmis Apprentice

            Hi Karen, Thanks for the help. I have already made sure of this. Both attributes are set to IsNaturalLanguage. I have rebuilt the knowledge a couple times since doing so. Any other suggestions?

            • 3. Re: Search results being returned as "Null"
              gman1981 Apprentice

              In addition to making them knowledgeable - you need to make sure the rebuild takes them into account. Go into Knowledge Management Administration, and then select Configuration, drill down to the Request Type and Employment status and then make sure they are checked before rebuilding the knowledge.

               

              See screenshot

              • 4. Re: Search results being returned as "Null"
                hhmis Apprentice

                Thanks David, but I've done this too. Request type is checked under the Request Management node. Employment Status is checked under the System node.

                • 5. Re: Search results being returned as "Null"
                  karenpeacock Employee

                  Hi

                   

                  One last idea then I would suggest contacting your support provider: 

                   

                  I've seen it sometimes not pickup the newly added attributes sometimes if the knowledge builder service is running.  I would suggest stopping this service (called knowledge builder in version 7.3.1 and under or background services in later versions).  Then in object designer (not knowledge administration) switch one of your knowledgeable objects to not being knowledgeable, save, switch it back on again and then save.  This should put a metadata refresh queue entry in that you can view via knowledge administration - queue entries.  Then start your knowledge builder service again.

                   

                  Just to mention if you are on 7.3.2 or later you might want to do this out of usual business hours as background services does lots of other important jobs (escalation point expiry notifications, user session cleanup, scheduled actions etc..) if you aren't ok with these being delayed by a couple of minutes whilst the service isn't running.

                   

                  Best wishes

                  Karen

                  • 6. Re: Search results being returned as "Null"
                    afrogers Apprentice

                    Did you manage to resolve this?  I've added the Knowledge Domain attribute to my standard knowledge search layout but it keeps coming up Null, I've followed all the steps mentioned in this post including Karen's workaround but still no joy, I'm on 7.4

                    • 7. Re: Search results being returned as "Null"
                      hhmis Apprentice

                      I did not. We had tried what Karen said as well, but didn;t have any luck with it. I'm thinking this will be my next support case I submit. I'll post their response/resolution then.

                      • 8. Re: Search results being returned as "Null"
                        karenpeacock Employee

                        Hi

                         

                        Calvin has just mentioned to me about this article of his which is relevant to your issues:

                        How to add related/inherited fields to search results

                         

                        The article had been archived, as no-one had rated it as useful since it was added, so we've just reinstated it.  This is done so that the community content doesn't get filled with old articles that no one is using anymore and may not be relevant to newer versions.  Just a little reminder to the community to please rate articles that you use.  The ratings are now located at the bottom of the article text (you can give up to 5 stars).

                         

                        Best wishes

                        Karen

                        • 9. Re: Search results being returned as "Null"
                          hhmis Apprentice

                          Karen,

                           

                          Finally got around to trying your last suggestion today. Unfortunately it didn't help. After trying this, the document summary seemed to have all of my other items I selected in the search layout, but not the two collections.

                           

                          I think I'm ok with what we have now. I found some other attributes to include in the layout which will be of help to us. Thank you for your help though!!