5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2010 3:03 PM by dmshimself RSS

Printing By View

Currently we have a setup as follows:

Object 1

Several fields for collecting information.

Window 1

Read only window for Object 1. This window has a read only view and not all of the fields are displayed.

Window 2

By clicking an action that is only available to some users, the view will show Window 2 which is a window that is not read only and shows all of the fields for Object 1

What I would like to be able to do is have two different print reports based on the windows. Window 1 would print only the fields that are seen on the window, and Window 2 would print all of the objects fields. Is this possible?

Using 7.2.6 and the users access through Service Portal.

• 1. Re: Printing By View
          dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

I'm going to stick my neck out and say no for 726.  With 73 webdesk it should do this automatically as printing is done a different way.  ServiceDesk will still be a problem I think.

• 2. Re: Printing By View

We will be updating to 7.3 soon so that is good news. For the current version, is there a field in the database for the current user group (the one that clicks print) or what the current window is?

• 3. Re: Printing By View
              dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

You can label the 2 windows with some sort of text tag, but the symbolic ref for things like currentuser and currentgroup cannot be passed out and used with print.  I guess if you were using integrated login for accessing the print report rather than a SQL specific account, you might be able to look at the who the person was acessing the database was in crystal and do something there.  (That's a guess by the way, I've never tried it)

• 4. Re: Printing By View

I was able to finally get this to work using some Crystal trickery. This window was for Articles, so when a user opens the window it automatically enters them as the last updated user because of the increase to effectiveness. I just have the Crystal report compare this last updated user field to the article owning field. If they match, it prints the full list of fields. Otherwise, it prints just the fields for the read only window. It's working well for Console users, but I cannot get the View Report action to show up in the Web Portal.

• 5. Re: Printing By View
                  dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

Very creative. A use of Active Knowledges effectiveness function for a very different and handy purpose.  Never say never!