1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Aug 25, 2011 2:13 PM by paramaguru RSS

How to allow "Digitally unsigned drivers" pass in answer file

paramaguru Apprentice

Hi All,

I want to allow "Digitally unsigned drivers" without any prompts while deploying the image, How can I give the Pass and under which componunt to allow "Digitally unsigned drivers" without any prompts in windows 7 answer file (Unattend.xml) and Windows XP (sysprep.inf) ?

Can anyone tell me how to do this....

Thanks and Regards,

Paramaguru

• 1. Re: How to allow "Digitally unsigned drivers" pass in answer file
          EMiranda Expert

in Windows XP you need to add to your sysprep.inf:

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

Windows 7 is different and to be honest I had headaches doing any type of driver pnp installations with just sysprep and windows. I moved to a seperate utility to do my driver pnp installs.  The one i use is called dpinst.exe or you can use dism which is already included in the OS.

by using dpinst.exe all i need to do is add the switch /lm and it accepts all unsigned drivers.

more info on the utility here -

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff544775%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Doesnt directly answer your question for Windows 7 but if you want a workaround, it will work for what you are asking.

• 2. Re: How to allow "Digitally unsigned drivers" pass in answer file
            paramaguru Apprentice

Hi Emiranda,

Thanks for your quick reply.From Where I can download this "dpinst.exe"? and you are saying your using switch "/lm" along with the dpinst.exe, Could you please tell me clearly how can we use those things while deploying the windows 7 image, What I have to do exactly? could you please tell the step by step procedures exactly,so that I could do this and test it out. because we have been facing this issue past 3 weeks....

Could you help me in this regards,

Thanks,

Paramaguru

• 4. Re: How to allow "Digitally unsigned drivers" pass in answer file
              EMiranda Expert

in summary

• get the dpinst.exe

• create an .xml file, i provided example in the thread:

• put utility dpinst.exe and dpinst.xml answer file in your image. Example C:\drivers  (Either before you capture or you copy it over after you lay down)

• create a folder where you put your pnp drivers. Example C:\drivers\pnp

• in your sysprep launch the utility with in oobe RunSynchronous:

Example c:\drivers\dpinst.exe /lm /path C:\drivers\pnp

*note, the /lm switch can also be replaced by adding  the following to the .xml file

<legacyMode>
              • 5. Re: How to allow "Digitally unsigned drivers" pass in answer file
                paramaguru Apprentice

Thanks for your reply...Here in my senario, I am using LANDesk HII to inject the all type of device drivers once the image has deployed successfully. when the OS in audit mode I am doing the customizations,windows updates etc where else I am not putting any pnp drivers into any folders, then run the sysprep.exe and select the system cleanup action as "Enter the system in Audit mode" and shutdown option is "Shutdown" like this I am sealing the image.

First of all I dont know because of which driver it's throwing the error "unsigned device driver", You are telling below details,

1. create a folder where you put your pnp drivers. Example C:\drivers\pnp

My Questions:

1. What is that "pnp" stands for?

2. By defaulty drivers will be downloading into c:\windows\lddriverstore, when the image has deployed, can I use the path c:\windows\lddriverstore instead of C:\drivers\pnp path? (which I will be sealing the image again in Audit mode which is adviced by LANDesk)

Could you please calrify me

Thanks,

Paramaguru

• 6. Re: How to allow "Digitally unsigned drivers" pass in answer file
                  EMiranda Expert

pnp stands for plugnplay

yes, if you already download all your drivers to c:\windows\lddriverstore then change the dpinst.exe /path c:\windows\lddriverstore

• 7. Re: How to allow "Digitally unsigned drivers" pass in answer file
                    paramaguru Apprentice

Just a summary what I am going to do, Please Just confirm are all right....? I am going to create a windows 7 64-bit image,So I have to do the following process,

1. Download the dpinst.exe

2. Using dpinst.exe create an .xml file as per your procedure

3. I have to place dpinst.exe and .xml file inside of "C:\drivers\..."

4. In the sysprep answer file under "specialize path | AMD64_Microsoft-Windows-Deployment_neutral | RunSynchronous | RunSynchronousCommand[Order="1"]

•     I have to add the Command to run is "c:\drivers\dpinst.exe /lm /path c:\windows\lddriverstore"

Are the above step by step procedures right ? to allow the unsigned device drivers while deploying the image.... Just Confirm please

Thanks,

Paramaguru

• 8. Re: How to allow "Digitally unsigned drivers" pass in answer file
                      EMiranda Expert

that is how i do it. just make sure you use the 64bit version for 64bit drivers. its called dpinst64.exe

• 9. Re: How to allow "Digitally unsigned drivers" pass in answer file
                        paramaguru Apprentice

Thats fine....

Clarifications:

1. Will 64-bit version "dpinst64.exe" be available in the same link http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=11800 or is there any other link is availbale for to download dpinst64.exe ?

2. I have seen your thread http://community.landesk.com/support/message/46213#46213 in that sample xml file why you have given "<language code="0x0409"> specifically, Do you want me to give same 0x0409 as a Language code ?

3. Rest of the things also I can give same whatever you have mentioned in that sample XML ?

OR

4.Do you want me to change anything from that XML?

Thanks,

Paramaguru

• 10. Re: How to allow "Digitally unsigned drivers" pass in answer file
                          paramaguru Apprentice

Hi Emiranda,

I can not able to install the "dpinst.exe", when I install the dpinst.exe its giving "Can not complete device driver installation wizard", How can I create the .xml using dpinst.exe? for your reference I have attched the error screen shot and dpinst.exe pacakage folder

Can you please guide me in this regards,

Thanks,

Paramaguru

• 11. Re: How to allow "Digitally unsigned drivers" pass in answer file
                            EMiranda Expert

You dont install it, all you need to do is copy that file dpinst.exe and put it in the location where you want your sysprep to run it.  Like the example I gave you C:\drivers

to create a .xml just create a blank text document and copy the example i gave you: Here is another example that includes your legacy options.

Save the text file as dpinst.xml and include it in the same directory as dpinst.exe

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
                            <dpinst>
                                <search>
                                  <subDirectory>*</subDirectory>
                                </search>
                                <language code="0x0409">
                                  <dpinstTitle>Driver Install Wizard</dpinstTitle>
                                  <welcomeTitle>Welcome!</welcomeTitle>
                                  <welcomeIntro>This utility is used to install device drivers.</welcomeIntro>
                                  <installHeaderTitle>Installing drivers...</installHeaderTitle>
                                  <finishTitle>Finished installing drivers.</finishTitle>
                                </language>
                                <deleteBinaries/>
                                <legacy/>
                                <quietInstall/>     
                                <suppressEulaPage/>     
                                <suppressWizard/>     
                                <scanHardware/> 
                            </dpinst>

The language code in this example is English, if you dont want english, choose a different language code.  here,

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff544784%28v=VS.85%29.aspx

• 12. Re: How to allow "Digitally unsigned drivers" pass in answer file
                              paramaguru Apprentice

Thanks for your clarification, I was also thinking to do as you said, I will do this and let you know the result Soon.....

Regards,

Paramaguru

• 13. Re: How to allow "Digitally unsigned drivers" pass in answer file
                                paramaguru Apprentice

Hi Emiranda,

Here there is a small clarification, As per your scenario you are telling to give the commandline in sysprep answer file like "c:\drivers\dpinst.exe /lm /path c:\windows\drivers" becaue you have created the folder called "drivers" inside of "C:" drive before capture the image and you are placed all the drivers inside of "c:\drivers" path before capture the image, Am I right? Whereelse in my image I don't have any such kind of driver folder before capturing the image and I will not create the "LDDriverstore" folder also before seal the image, When the image is deploying then only HII will be creating the "LDDriverstore" folder inside of "c:\windows" path and while deploying the image only it will be putting the drivers in the same folder.In this case could you please advice me for my below mentioned questiones,

Question:

1. Where I have to put the "dpinst.exe and dpinst.xml" as per my scenairo ?

2. How should I give the commandline in the sysprep answer file as per my scenairo ? Can you please give me the commandline for my scenario ? (To overcome the "Digitally unsigned driver" issue)

Thanks

Paramaguru

• 14. Re: How to allow "Digitally unsigned drivers" pass in answer file
                                  EMiranda Expert

Paramaguru,

i have gave you all the info in previous threads.  You can put dpinst.exe and dpinst.xml anywhere you want. You are calling the utility from sysprep. So whereever you put it, you just call it from there.

I used "examples"  you can use my examples or you can do your own way.

If you want to put dpinst.exe and dpinst.xml in c:\drivers then put it there and call if from sysprep doing c:\drivers\dpinst.exe /path c:\windows\LDDriverstore

If you want to put dpinst.exe and dpinst.xml in c:\ then put it  there and call if from sysprep doing c:\dpinst.exe /path c:\windows\LDDriverstore

That choice is up to you.  what is important is you call dpinst.exe with the /path switch that is pointing to the drivers for your machine.  Since it looks like you add all your drivers in LANDesk for HII, then LANDesk puts all the drivers for the machine after image deployment into c:\windows\LDDriverstore.  So that is where you want to direct dpinst.exe to look for drivers because it doesnt know where to look by default. You have to tell it.

you don't need to add /lm switch to the commandline if you are adding <legacy/ to your .xml file.  It is the same thing so for your answer to #2

the command line is

%UTILITY LOCATION%\dpinst.exe /path %PATH TO DRIVERS%

Example:

C:\drivers\dpinst.exe /path C:Windows\LDDriverstore

1 2 Previous Next