5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 11, 2012 9:09 AM by LANDave RSS

Definitions Update Failed (LANDesk Management Suite v9.0.2.3)

Rookie

I created a scheduled task to run daily and download patch and compliance content.  However, I receive the following errors in the vaminer.details.log on the core server after the scheduled task executes:

09/07/2011 08:29:22 INFO  22016:LoadingPatchSources : First attempt failed.
      09/07/2011 08:29:23 INFO  22016:LoadingPatchSources : GetStreamForPath https://patchemea.landesk.com/LDPM8/ldvul.php?VERIFYME=NoLicenseInformation&KEYWORD=filename&FILENAME=patches/ENU_PatchSources902.xml failed The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel.
      09/07/2011 08:29:23 INFO  22016:LoadingPatchSources : First attempt failed.
      09/07/2011 08:29:23 INFO  22016:LoadingPatchSources : Verification failed: Connection to https://patchemea.landesk.com/LDPM8/ldvul.php failed. The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure.
      09/07/2011 08:29:23 INFO  22016:1     : You have not specified a valid site from which to download updates.  Please verify your network connection settings.
      09/07/2011 08:29:23 INFO  22016:1     : Definitions update failed

I am, however, able to manually download patch and compliance content by clicking the "Download" button via "Download Updates."  I have checked and verified accounts and permissions which yielded no findings.  What could be causing this?

• 1. Re: Definitions Update Failed (LANDesk Management Suite v9.0.2.3)
          JSMCPN Expert

Definitely sounds account related with regards to SSL certificate, like *.landesk.com is not added to the Trusted Sites in Internet Explorer at the system-level.

Can you log onto the Core as the account that runs your Scheduler Service, open Internet Explorer, add *.landesk.com to Trusted Sites, and try a manual download from the Console?  If that works, then try doing it by starting the Download Patch And Compliance Content task.

I worked in an environment once where all SSL certificates were inspected and re-signed by a network appliance, and while human user accounts were set up to accept these re-signed certs, the LANDesk Service account was not, and their vaminer.log file looked almost exactly like yours.

• 2. Re: Definitions Update Failed (LANDesk Management Suite v9.0.2.3)
            Rookie

JSMCPN,

Thanks for the quick assist!  I was always able to perform a manual download via the "Download updates" screen, however the scheduled task never worked.  I added *.landesk.com to the Trusted sites zone as you suggested, however to no avail.  Our firewall shows no blocked traffic and the only indication of an error was through the application event logs, which reiterates the dialog from the vaminer.details.log.  Any other suggestions?

• 3. Re: Definitions Update Failed (LANDesk Management Suite v9.0.2.3)
              JSMCPN Expert

I know you can do it manually, but can DOMAIN\LANDESK.SERVICE?  (I am not sure what actual account you are using to run your Scheduler Service)

Go to Start->Programs->LANDesk->Configure Services and click on the Scheduler tab.  The account displayed there is the account that will call vaminer.exe - so even though your account can connect to https://patchemea.landesk.com, the Scheduler account may not be able to.  Log onto the Core as the account used by Scheduler and see if that works.

• 4. Re: Definitions Update Failed (LANDesk Management Suite v9.0.2.3)
                Rookie

Logged onto the core as the account we established for the scheduler service, performed a manual download without incident then ran the scheduled task which produced the same errors as before.  I also validated that the password and permissions for the account was correct in the cofigured services app as well as the scheduler service itself.  I'm missing something and I'm willing to bet it's a checkbox somewhere!  I appreciate your assistance!  Thanks!

• 5. Re: Definitions Update Failed (LANDesk Management Suite v9.0.2.3)
                  LANDave SupportEmployee

Did you ever get a resolution for this?