11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2012 4:27 PM by Jonathan Barker RSS

Image File too large

domowimi Apprentice

I just updated one of my images and when I try to bring it down on an older model, I get the error that there is not enough space. The TBI file itself only grew about 1 GB in size so why all of a sudden it doesn't work is beyond me. We have never had issues with this in the past and really would like to know what can be done to fix this.

I have even tried to do a manual image and selecting the option to scale to fit and I still get the same error message.

Does LANDesk capture unused space on the HDD when creating an image? That makes no sense to me for it to do that.

We were told to use a tool such as Partition Magic to reduce the size of our partition before we image it up, but wouldn't that be stamped on the new pc that we image? Therefore leaving unallocated disk space?

Please help!

Mike D

• 1. Re: Image File too large
          Apprentice

Mike,

What I do is use Partition Magic before I image to shrink my partition down to 40 or so gigs or when I first install Windows, you can control the size of the partition you create. Then do all my work, and capture the image. When you push the image back, part of the LANDesk procedure is to expand the parition to full disk size. So your 40 gigi partition, when pushed back onto a machine should be the full 250G or whatever your HDD size is.

Brendan

• 2. Re: Image File too large
            domowimi Apprentice

Brandan,

Thanks for the response! Is there anything I need to do for LANDesk to expand the image? Such as a function in the provisioning template or is it just automatic?

Mike

• 3. Re: Image File too large
              Apprentice

Mike,

I just use the OSD, not the provisioning templates and I have never had to do anything manually, its just part of the end of the OSD process.

Brendan

• 4. Re: Image File too large
                domowimi Apprentice

Brandan,

Thanks..... hopefully it works the same. I'll give it a shot today.

Mike

• 5. Re: Image File too large
                  eric christensen SupportEmployee

If the OS installed on the device you are capturing is Vista or higher you can use diskpart that is included with windows. Just use the diskpart shrink command instead of having to install or use partition magic. In windows XP the diskpart shrink option is not available.

As Brenden noted, by default OSD will expand the final partition to fill the drive. If you are using provisioning you will need to add a partition action to the provisioning template. Under that partition action select expand partition and set the drive and partition you want to expand. You can also set the size of the partition. If you want it to use the remaining space, leave the space option blank.

• 6. Re: Image File too large
                    domowimi Apprentice

Eric,

Thanks, does it matter under what section or order that I insert the expand partition action?

Mike

• 7. Re: Image File too large
                      eric christensen SupportEmployee

It can be in the OS installation or Post-OS installation section. The action just needs to occur after the image has been deployed to the device. Otherwise the partition wouldn't exist to expand.

• 8. Re: Image File too large
                        domowimi Apprentice

We used partition magic to set the partition size to 20 GB. Without adding the Expand partition part of the provisioning template, it expanded the partition after imaging but left unallocated space. We then added the Expand partition piece of the template which runs successfully however upon boot up after imaging, we get an error stating UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.

In an attempt to coorect that issue, we created another command in the template to set the partition active. This says it is successful in the template but again upon boot up we get the same error of UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Any suggestions?

Mike

• 9. Re: Image File too large
                          Sundiata Kita-Bradshaw Apprentice

We started OS Deployment via Provisioning (Windows 7)using a template someone provided on one of the main OS documents here on the community. After the OS deploys there are a few files that download and run in the Post-OS section of the template. These files fix the boot issues (BCDEdit, etc). I have attached an example of a template

• 10. Re: Image File too large
                            domowimi Apprentice

Thank you. That will help since we will need to do it with Windows 7 as well but this particular issue is with Windows XP.

• 11. Re: Image File too large
                              Jonathan Barker Apprentice

This is likely due to how the terabyte image application works, it doesn't look at files, it looks at sectors.  Other apps like ghost, rdeploy, etc creates images based on files.  i suspect sector-based imaging is faster but you have limitations such as you can't image a larger partition onto a smaller partition without some cleanup.

Do this:

Boot your machine.  Run defrag against all volumes, then run a free space consolidation defrag.  This will move all the files it can to the front of the drive, and whitespace to the back.  defrag can't move files that are in use such as pagefile and many system files.  These are typically at the front of the drive anyways.

optional, use sdelete to zero out the whitespace

boot into WinPE menu.  open a console, then use diskpart to select the volume in question, then shrink the volume.  This crops the volume as small as possible.  If you're lucky this will be smaller than the smallest drive you want to deploy to.  If you're not lucky then you need to use an alternative defragmentation application and sdelete.  In windows 7 the commands for diskpart will be:

diskpart

select disk 0

select volume d (note: volume c is the hidden 100mb boot partition)

shrink