3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2009 9:59 AM by mwarrenstl RSS

Save your Company money using LANDesk

Rookie

I am looking to share information of how to save your company money using LANDesk and to see what ideas you may have. We all know that we can save money with patching, installing software, SLM, and Remote Control. But how about some of the custom ideas. Here are a few I am using currently that I can think of, more to come as I get time to post.

1. VBScript running chkdsk: It first checks th users system if they need to run chkdsk. If chkdsk needs to be ran then it prompts the user with a message to run or cancel. Scheduled to automatically run monthly on all systems. Saves money by keeping systems running in top performance.

2. VBScript running Disk Cleanup: If prompts the user if they want to run or cancel disk cleanup. Scheduled to automatically run monthly on all systems. Saves money no wasted space and improves security by clearing cache.

3. VBScript running Defrag: It first checks th users system if they need to run defrag. If defrag needs to be ran then it prompts the user with a message to run or cancel. If user accepts then it schedules a defrag to run after buisness hours using a service account. Scheduled to automatically run monthly on all systems. Saves money by keeping systems running in top performance.

• 1. Re: Save your Company money using LANDesk
          Rookie

If you don't own the Patch Manager then you can easily push a script for Macs to run software update. REMEXEC0=sudo softwareupdate -i -a

• 2. Re: Save your Company money using LANDesk
            Rookie

Automated Virus Scanning: We currently utilize a vendor to monitor our communication and notify us if a system appears to be sending abnormal amounts of traffic. I am using Managed Planets DTS product to automate the process.

Step1. DTS goes to website and collects realtime information of what systems are in violation daily at 12pm

Step2. DTS adds a Computer:Communication Violation:Yes to the inventory  of the system based on a match of ip address

Step3. Query setup to look for Yes in Computer:Communication Violation

Step4. Scheduled task setup as Policy Based (every 30 minutes) with the Query set as it's target devices

Step5. Scheduled task runs a script to run a full virus scan and send a full inventory

Step6. Full inventory clears Yes in Computer:Communication Violation

• 3. Re: Save your Company money using LANDesk
              Rookie

Terminated Employee System Collection: We are currently utilizing Managed Planet (DTS), Peoplesoft, LANDesk, and Sharepoint to automate collection of systems from terminated employees.

Step1. DTS inserts a users email address into their inventory based on AD and LD Primary Owner

Step 2. DTS hooks into the Oracle Database for PeopleSoft and gathers information about every employee and what their employment status is, manager, manager email, hr manager, hr manager email, department, location, cost code, etc.

Step 3. DTS associates this information with a system based on the users email address.

Step 4. DTS hooks into the SQL Database for Sharepoint and inserts System Information, User Information, Manager Information, HR Manager Information if they match a query looking for terminated status of InActive

Step 5. Sharepoint sends email to Manager and HR Manager with all information exported from LD to Sharepoint

Step6. Once system is received then we change an option in Sharepoint  with that systems record to turn off automated email and remove it from LANDesk.